Logo

HELP with 96 Evinrude 112hp Spl

andy1083

I just purchased a 1996 Wellcraft with a 1996 112 Hp. Spl. Motor started and ran great when in the previous owners driveway..Owner said the boat had sat for close to a year without being started. Guess i should have test driven.....Yesterday I took the boat out for the first time and it started up fine, idled the whole time while I parked the truck. Pulled away from the dock and boat wouldn't even get on plane. RPM max out at just under 3grand...still seeming to run good...just NO power. Revs in netural just fine..can take it as high as i want...but under load its a pig. Coming back to the dock it stalled on me and I had a little bit of an issue getting it started. What on earth is going on?? Anyone have an idea? Coil? Bad gas from sitting? It had a 1/4 tank when I got it and i added 6 gallons.

Thoughts would be helpful!

These motors have a history of broken piston rings.--------Start the trouble shooting with a compression test.------If that has a positive result we can advise further.

please enlighten me...if it is a cracked ring...do i assume also that the sleeve is toast and would need to get honed? can that even be done with just one piston? Sorry thinking ahead that far is somwhat worthless i know :)

Ok..compression test across all 4 cylinders is between 70-76psi..so i think i can rule that out. Think i found the problem...but not sure how it would be....

cleaned the plugs and started it ...passenger side lower cylinder is peeing water next to the plug out the head gasket (i think) rubber gasket overhangs the edge of the head by 3/16" in the plug well and is ripped on one spot. Question is...even if it is ripped and peeing to the outside..how can it get to the cylinder bore?

Year old gas is not good. any spin on fuel filter? if not should have one for engine that size. If gas left in carbs. all that time, looks like carb. rebuilds are a good idea/start.

Before carb rebuild I would try draining gas and putting new fuel filter in. Then add some sea foam 1oz. Per gallon of gas. Only 8$ for can. Has done wonders for me on many engines in the past. And the water jacket gasket goes bad a lot of times when engine is over headed. Do you have water coming out of tell tale hole? If not impellor is most likely bad and could of over heated engine and cooked the rings. I don't belive compression should be that low.

Trim it all the way down, my 190 with a 112 seems to like to be trimmed all the way down to push the nose over to plane then the RPM climbs up to 5400 and I see anywhere from 34-38 on the gps. I'm sort pleased with it but in a year or so I plan to repower with a 150 of newer vintage better fuel economy. Can't really drop $12k on a 4 stroke. I would highly recommend curing the leak, and doing a "seasonal" service on it having sat for a year. Look out for water in fuel tank, don't know why but the 190's are prone. I got mine a year ago.
Jet

Last edited:
Last night i pulled the water jacket head and started scrapping off the old seal. Have to tackle problems one at a time. Is there some way the water leak right next to the plug could have been the cause of my power loss? Also, danjotto mentioned he doesn't think compression should be that low...(average of 73 or so) Seemed very consistant across all four. Does anyone have manufacture spec. limits for compression ? I was trimmed all the way down and it was barely above and idle...enough to tilt the bow up thats it. I'll drain the tank if you guys think its needed..but can i just use octane booster?

Your compression values are low.----------Try another gauge as a verification check.---Dealer may have a gauge that is more reliable.--------Water leaking / spraying onto a plug may , repeat may have an effect on spark to that cylinder.

I'm reading on other sites that you should do a compression test with throttle wide open...or the number will be low....Which way is correct?

Throttle position does NOT MATTER on a 2 stroke engine like yours.--------Exhaust ports are wide open and compression does not start till they close !

If the compression checks stay low I would suspect the head gaskets or stuck rings. Squirt some Seafoam into the cylinders and let it sit for a few hours. It will clean off the carbon and free up the rings if they are stuck. Seafoam will not fix a mechanical problem but is a good way to rule out the easy things before spending a lot of money.
Bill

thanks racer.. OH balls..I thought since the numbers were close I would be ok :( hope thats still the case...seems odd that they are all close to each other. I'll add seafoam tonight...add then crank over some ...or just add?

After adding the Seafoam turn the motor over by hand a few times then add more. Let the Seafoam stay in the cylinders for a few hours. Then with the plugs out and the coils grounded turn it over a few times to blow out the Seafoam then recheck the compression. Easy to do and inexpensive.

If the compression numbers stay low I would suspect the head gaskets and would pull the heads and have a look at the cylinders.
Bill

how do i ground the coils?

Another thought i didnt mention..to do the compression test I pulled all the plugs and tucked the wires out of the way and to there they couldnt arc. They i tested one cylinder at a time. Is this correct way? Also, how long should i be cranking it for?

All the same value is a good thing.----My 2 compression testers would show 100 / 120 PSI on that motor ( throttle closed ) on all 4 cylinders.

racer - so its a good thing...but what does it mean?...or could it mean? Did i do the test correctly by pulling all the plugs then test one at a time?

I put the plugs back in the boot and either lay them close to the bock or use a short jumper to ground them. That keeps the high voltage from building up with no place to go. May over stress the insulation.
Bill

It may mean that your gauge is reading very low !!!!!!----Do you have spark that will jump a gap of 3/8" on all 4 leads.----These motors will sound just fine on a hose running on 3 cylinders !

I will check again with another gauge tonight and report back. I bought the inline tester with a light in it..I'm going to napa today to get the gap style checker....I'm starting to hate boats! :)

Andy did you resolve your issue? I have the same engine and the same problem.
Frank

I just purchased a 1996 Wellcraft with a 1996 112 Hp. Spl. Motor started and ran great when in the previous owners driveway..Owner said the boat had sat for close to a year without being started. Guess i should have test driven.....Yesterday I took the boat out for the first time and it started up fine, idled the whole time while I parked the truck. Pulled away from the dock and boat wouldn't even get on plane. RPM max out at just under 3grand...still seeming to run good...just NO power. Revs in netural just fine..can take it as high as i want...but under load its a pig. Coming back to the dock it stalled on me and I had a little bit of an issue getting it started. What on earth is going on?? Anyone have an idea? Coil? Bad gas from sitting? It had a 1/4 tank when I got it and i added 6 gallons.

Thoughts would be helpful!

No he did not. He sold it to me. Now I'm dealing with the issue. Also hide the fact that the trailer was full of silicon to hide the rott. Karma sir.

Ok now that's over with now I know the history of the engine. Who's got some ideas. Did a load test #2 cylinder runs strong all others ok. Thinking maybe rings. Also getting a steady alarm when I'm running it in the hose. Thinking maybe over heat.

Back