Logo

water leak at voltage regulator

Mrfisherman

I am new to this site and appreciate any advice given. I have a 1984 115 hp Evinrude E115TLCRD and I noticed burnt wires coming from under the flywheel awhile back and I have just been charging the battery before going with no problems. I had the cover off today and running it on the hose and there is water coming from the voltage regulator. Looking at it, it looks like the regulator is coming apart. It;s not leaking that bad and it doesn't get worse at high rpms. Can I still run it like it is till I get the funds to fix it properly? Where does the water go that,s going down in the engine does it get out at the bottom

Last edited:
Are you waiting for the engine to catch fire and explode?

You hint (not specifiically stating) that you are charging the battery with a battery charger before going out on the water.

That should give you a clue that the engine's charging system is inoperative.If you continue to run the engine as it stands.... I suggest that you stay quite close to shore.

well put Joe...i read this entry about 6 a.m. with my first cup of coffee and just could not answer tactfully at that point...but made a mental note to check back..

Well I don't know if anybody will see this it's been awhile, but I didn't use the boat. Instead I decided to try to tackle it myself. I was able to remove the flywheel very easily so it probably has been removed before. I ordered the new regulator and installed it. I noticed that the wires coming out of it were really close to the flywheel, so I had to tie strap them down (remember I had burnt wires it was right there). Anyway I got it running and it's charging just fine and I thank you all.

Yep.... we saw your entry (wondered where you were). Glad that you got the problem corrected.

Be sure to torque that flywheel nut to 105 foot pounds... anything less willl result in having the flywheel key shear and throw the engine out of time.

Back