Logo

Tohatsu M70A questions

milo30

I just purchased an old boat which has a Tohatsu M70A motor. I am unfamiliar with this motor and have a few questions.

1. Reverse lock- It is my understanding that the right lever on the motor locks and unlocks this. I have the lever but whatever connects it to the actual reverse lock is missing. I can manually use my finger to engage the lock and it seems to work but that would be difficult to manipulate in the water. Does anyone have a picture of the connection? Maybe a source to buy the missing part?

2. Tilt/trim- My first boat with no tilt/trim. I have looked at the cmc tilt/trim option and assume that it would work for me but don't have the cash for it now. I found a few Tohatsu/Nissan tilt and trim units for sale used at a good price off of a 90 HP. One of them has the stern bracket. Are these something that would fit on the 70? Are there any options out there for converting using t/t from another engine?

So far have only had one day on the water with it. Pretty easy to start and idles low but will remain running in idle. If you shut it off for more a few seconds, you have to choke it to restart. When you shift into gear if you move the lever too slow it will die. Once you move it to a throttle position it will run at a slow speed just fine and runs full speed fine. I am thinking the idle needs to be adjusted and probably the carbs need to be cleaned. I'm mechanically inclined. Anyone have a good reference point online to rebuilding and adjusting the carbs?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.

Start with the Factory service manual. The manual for the 70A is out of print, but I have one.

Thanks Millbilly. That chart helped. I think I found the linkage that I was missing and ordered it. I took the boat to the lake the other day and flipped locked it by hand and had the reverese lock working. When I went to load the boat, I couldn't get it to release. Tried to pull the boat out with the motor locked down and the motor started dragging. A huge mess. Finally got it to release so I could tilt it. I really need it fixed.

The idle adjust I saw and raised the idle slightly and it helped. I'm just not sure of the proper idle speed.

Paul, I shot you an email.

Thanks

Back