Logo

I have a 4hp yamaha 2 stroke been setting a while

I remember my dad had a 3.5HP Evinrude from the 50's or 60's. It sat down in our basement for as long as I could remember. Heavy as crap with the onboard fuel tank and such. Fast forward to the 80's I told my dad it was time to get rid of that dead engine and he bet me it would start. So, we filled a trash can, put gas in it and sure as crap on the 3rd or 4th pull she started. I wouldn't take that engine out on a boat as I am sure all the fuel lines and gaskets were totally shot but it started and ran to full throttle! Small engines are the best. After 3 years... drain all fuel but there is prob no fuel left in anything (which is prob a good thing). Pull the carb and fully clean it.. especially that little brass fuel jet . Hook it up to a fresh tank of gas and fully prime the fuel bulb. Give her a few pulls and I bet she starts. Before you run far from the dock, I'd run her in a trash can on a tank of gas with Seafoam added for a while... Never know that may shake lose in those dry fuel lines that could create a problem on the water that could be found on land.

Back