Logo

base plate change from sensor to points

herothor

Contributing Member
wanting to change my base plate from sensor type to points,,,1972 100 hp Johnson,,model #100esl72r,,can I do this,the 1972 85 hp model #85esl72r has points wonder if they would interchage

First you need to check the crankshaft !!---------Are there lobes to open close the points.------------Some may have had them and some not.

Ok,in between the rotor distributor sensor and the crankshaft theres space on both so im thinking there is lobes

Attachments

• 100_1884.jpg
    100_1884.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_1886.jpg
    100_1886.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 114
Away if they are lobes im thinking bout buying a base plate assembley off of a 1972 85 hp,,,,model #85esl72r it is points,,,my model is 100esl72r.first im going to wait and see if you think it will work,by the way thanks for helping me

Ok,went ahead and bought 1972 85 hp base plate,,,and a set of points,nobody knows weather it will work or not,,,all I know is a 1972 100 hp Johnson does not have points only a trigger sensor or something like that,,,,i'm making this change so I can go with msd ignition,and blaster coils,,,I couldn't get the msd to work with the sensor,'i'll be back to let yall know if it works..waiting for my stuff to arrive from e-bay

Man im just going to use 2 blaster coils going to ground the 2nd coil (plug wire ) straight to top of motor,that should cut the voltage in half

Mail man has arrived,,,dang as soon as I set the second set of points the rain came.Going to be tomorrow again.START UP...

Attachments

• 100_1887.jpg
    100_1887.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_1888.jpg
    100_1888.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 113
YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA Alright men got er fire'in' on all fours,,,aint tried to start yet no doubt in my mind she will run now,,,rain set'in' in gota go save a buddy at the bar they said hes drunk as hell and kick'in' up dust,,gota go get him befor the law does

Didn't want to start at first,,,then I put a spray of starting fluid to it started right up,,as long as id hit it with the spray it would purrrrr like a kittin.......guess I will check nidlle and seat in the carbs maybe that will fix the problem,,,,,,,what yall think

That done it,,sound'in' like a race boat since I started changes heres what all I've done { 1972 100 hp Johnson } changed base plate from a sensor plate to points plate changed stupid pulse pack to msd a6 ignition, changed stock coil to 2 msd blaster coils (high vibration) and yes I grounded the 2nd coil to the top of engine .......this son of a gun aint nothing but BAD TO THE BONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORgot to mention early in this thread I was wondering if a 1972 85 hp base plate would work for this build it did,,so I also used 1972 85 hp points base plate

Coil wireing,,ONE PIC DIDNT TURN OUT WELL BOTH THE SAME

Attachments

• 100_1917.jpg
    100_1917.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_1918.jpg
    100_1918.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
got to understand when you change your base plate to points there wont be but 2 wires 1ground and the other goes to white wire from msd ignition.when I removed pulse pack I throwed it in trash can used no wires comeing or going to it

Attachments

• 100_1920.jpg
    100_1920.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 111
I admit I know very little about the MSD ignition, but for the life of me, I don't understand why you are using two coils. The one on the right isn't doing anything except possibly putting more of a load on the MSD output. Did MSD tell you to do that?

Anyway very interesting and maybe you found a solution to those troublesome systems. Keep us posted.

actually its taking away from the other coil by grounding the second coil,,,,,theres a man on this site that learned that to me,,,,Mister Joe Reeves if your on here long enough youll get to talk to him....so have you got points or sensor

on e-bay right now they still have 1972 85 hp points base plate just like the one I got 25.00 item number 400461307520

orange wire to positive black to negative ,,,only took it to the lake once didn't have it in water long,dont have any stickers or payed late restoration,,,,,it ran pretty good very surprised to tell the truth thought ide have to work some bugs out,,,,,cant wait to get these bills paid and get back out there.....ill let yall know how she ran

Back