Logo

Edelbrock 1409 on Chrysler 340

jagnweiner

Hello, all. Brand new to this forum. I have a Chrysler 340 in a '71 Century Resorter that currently has a Carter AFB 6212 in it, needing rebuilding. The boat is 600 miles away at our family cabin. I will be going up for the 4th of July, and would like to have a running boat, but will not be able to rebuild the Carter before then. I have seen many on here recommending replacement of the Carter with an Edelbrock 1409.

I am considering just buying a new 1409 so I can install it when I get there and use the boat right away. It looks like it should just bolt right on, other than the need to wire the electric choke. I have also seen some of the vendors who are selling an adaptor plate kit with the carb to adapt to "most all manifolds." Is there a need for an adapter kit with this carb on a 340?

Also, I see others discussing tapping the new carb for a line to a PCV valve. As best I recall, my current Carter doesn't have that, but I may be wrong. Anyone have any thoughts on this? If it is necessary to tap the carb for a PCV, is there any problem with running the engine for a few days without it?

Final question: Will the flame arrestor on my AFB fit the 1409?

I'd also appreciate any other thoughts or advice you have on this switch.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

I do believe the Edelbrock 1409 is based on the old Carter AFB, (a good carb, by the way). It should bolt right up! The only PCV on a boat, is the hose usually coming from the center bottom of the carb, going directly up against the flame arrestor.

..."Final question: Will the flame arrestor on my AFB fit the 1409?"

No, but you can make it fit with a pencil grinder. I did both of mine that way.

Jeff (AKA Mr. Cheapskate)

Thanks, gentlemen. I had a nice phone conversation with stevemiller333, who has done the conversion and got a lot of good advice.

Jeff, is the grinding just a matter of enlarging the circular opening on the flame arrestor?

Right. Magic Marker the present opening and enlarge it evenly all around the opening.

Jeff

PS: Have you drilled and tapped the body for the PCV circuit?

That makes sense (magic marker).

I haven't purchased the 1409 yet, so I haven't drilled and tapped anything. I'm a little leary about doing the drilling and tapping until I have the old carb in front of me. I'm also uncomfortable with doing that operation in the "field" at the cabin without my drill press. As I mentioned above, is there any problem with running the motor for the weekend without the PCV hooked up?

Also, Jeff, I saw in another post that you said you have photos of how the drilling/tapping is done. Do you think you could post those? Or send me a pm and I'll send my e-mail address.

Thanks,
Scott

I've done several, and with a hand drill. Easy.

Jeff

Attachments

• Edelbrock-4.JPG
    Edelbrock-4.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Edelbrock-1.JPG
    Edelbrock-1.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 70
Gentlemen-

I received the new carb yesterday and I have a quick question. It came with holes already drilled (actually, cast) on both ends (see photos). The holes are "blind" in that they don't open up to anything in the back. It looks like they are already ready to be tapped, although they appear to be 23/64" (I don't have a 23/64" bit, but 11/32 bit is loose in the hole and 3/8 does not go in). I'm not sure if that is too big for 1/8 NPT.

Did your carb come with the holes already in it? Can I still tap for 1/8 NPT or do I need to find a different solution?

Attachments

• Carb Front.jpg.bmp
    161.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Carb Rear.bmp
    175.8 KB · Views: 55
Maybe my Performer 1410s sitting on my 454s are manufactured differently, but there is only one hose barb which is for the manual fuel pump overflow and is located between the choke and the fuel inlet. There no other hoses. The two hoses from the valve covers (that would be for a PCV) run to the flame arrester.

Edelbrock's installation instructions do show a "PVC port for 3/8" hose on the front of the carb body between the idle mixture screws as Jeff shows. He's the expert and is more familiary with MOPARs.

Gene

Back