Logo

Closed circuit cooling of Interceptor 289

grant1266

Was wanting some information on installing a heat changer on my 1964 289 Interceptor I want to put a circulation pump on the engine I am assuming I would have to change the timing cover to install the new pump and to fit the fuel pump?
Any info would be appreciated

Hi, from what I understand it has never been in salt water and water jackets look pretty clean motor runs real well but live in Auckland NZ surrounded by saltwater!

If you do install a Closed Cooling system, do this:

After approx 20 hours run time, remove the H/E, perhaps even shake it up a bit, and dump the coolant into a clean white bucket.

Examine the coolant for rust scale debris.
This will give you an idea as to whether rust scale is sluffing into the coolant.

Re-install the H/E.
Filter the coolant, and re-install it.

After another XX hours amount of run time, repeat the process.
You should eventually see a reduction in the amount of rust scale debris.

At some point, new fresh coolant could be installed.

I have an old Eaton Marine closed cooling system off of an FE Interceptor engine with all the plumbing, no pump though. Worked off the raw water pump and a recirculating pump... This is not the typical clunky system found on Chris Craft engines. I posted it for sale on the forum.

Hi Thanks, have resolved heat exchanger going with a Savage engineering system bolts pretty much straight on! needed to change raw pump (Couldn't find parts for mine) to a crank pump , timing cover and installed circulation pump.

Hi Thanks, have resolved heat exchanger going with a Savage engineering system bolts pretty much straight on! needed to change raw pump (Couldn't find parts for mine) to a crank pump , timing cover and installed circulation pump.
You won't be disappointed with the crankshaft pump. Good call! :D

Hi Rick, hopefully right call, still quite away before I get the boat back in the water and still trying to sort out pulleys to make sure it fits, the one on the motor was too small!

I am looking at adding a fresh water cooling system to my 1960 312 as well. It has been used in salt water a bit. We are breaking the engine down now and it shows very little rust/pitting. It will be completely cleaned and freshened up. What is the issue with adding a closed system to a salt water boat? Does anyone know who/where I can find one?

Thanks,

Karl

The issue is the engine's coolant passages will collect a lot of the debris and precipitate over time.....if you are rebuilding the engine, hot tank the block and find the passages clean, you are probably ok adding the closed system......

I have no clue where to find a complete system.....piecing one together wouldn't be hard, just time consuming collecting all the pieces....

Back