Logo

Port engine runs hotter than starboard

juryduty

Hi guys,
This is on my '76 Crusader 220's, FWC half-system. Having this problem at cruising above 2500 RPM. The port engine (counter-rotating) gets up to 190 degrees while the starboard engine stays at 160. When I bring it down to 1800 RPM or lower the port side will cool back down to 160 within 5 minutes. I just pulled the raw water pump and checked all the hoses, and things look fine as does the impeller. What should I look at next... or is 190 not all that hot?

Funny that this comes up as I am dealing with this as well. My boat has an E-35 sherwood pump. I just ordered a major repair kit and a new cover plate. They both were in rough shape and needed replacing. I learned about checking these from a friend who like you and I was having the same issue.

Yeah I've got the E-35 sherwood pump too. Mine seemed a very tight on the bushing side and was not rotating very freely, so I ordered a rebuilt pump on eBay. I really hope it is not the risers or manifolds, just not looking forward to replacing those... I was thinking of taking the heat exchanger off and having it flushed if this doesn't work....

Take a look & feel the hoses going to the risers. You may see the hoses expand & get hard from the back pressure if the risers are restricted. Do this with the engine off & at cruise speed.

Could also be a small air leak on the suction side of the pump...hoses, clamps, and strainer lids are good items to check...and any drain plugs if they were removed for the winter...

Back