Logo

Instalation of new shifting rod 1981 90 HP Evinrude

1981 proline

Hi everyone. I just got done replacing my water pump kit on my 90HP Eninrude. Unfortunately I had to cut my drifting rod in half to drop lower unit. I broke head off of linkage pin trying to unscrew. Luckily Marine Engine.com had two in stock. My engine isn't shifting correctly. I can't even get it in forward. My guess from reading some other post is that I screwed in shaft to far. I did it till it stopped. Can someone tell me what the distance is from gear case to the hole at the top of shaft is. I guess you check this in neutral?
Thank you for your help

Check it in neutral, with the offset facing forward. For a long shaft, the distance is 21 27/32", from the top surface of the case to the center of the hole. For an extra long shaft, it's 26 27/32" Both of the measurements are plus or minus 1/32"

Yeah, if you screwed it all the way in, it's not right. Just out of curiosity, how did you cut the shift rod? I had to cut one on mine because of the same reason, the head was sheared off the pin. I used a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel, it just fit in under the lower cowl cover and could get at the shift rod.

Back