Logo

j10eena carb problem

jvlbigboy

I bought this motor it ran ok it was a little slow getting out of the hole then ran great I thought the carb might need cleaning. The carb was not that dirty butt I put a new carb kit.it starts real good when I get close to half throttle it loads up and wants to kill. I've taken it apart three or four times I don't see anything wrong. Any help would be great. The motor is johnson 9.9 elec.start j10eena thanks

When you are running it at 1/2 throttle and above, the majority of the fuel being supplied to the engine is flowing thru the main jet.
I would suspect from your description that the main jet has a clog somewhere. Examine the small brass tubes (nozzles) that extend down into the bowl for clogs.
Make sure you have a good gasket seal on that small round gasket that goes around the top of those brass tubes. (I don't see that round gasket on the drawing, so you might not have that....)

EDIT: I don't like that first sentence....should more accurately be: When you are running it at 1/2 throttle and above, the majority of the fuel being supplied to the engine is flowing thru the high speed fuel delivery circuits of the carb.

That would include the main jet, and the larger of the two brass nozzles.

Last edited:
When you are running it at 1/2 throttle and above, the majority of the fuel being supplied to the engine is flowing thru the main jet.
I would suspect from your description that the main jet has a clog somewhere. Examine the small brass tubes (nozzles) that extend down into the bowl for clogs.
Make sure you have a good gasket seal on that small round gasket that goes around the top of those brass tubes. (I don't see that round gasket on the drawing, so you might not have that....)

EDIT: I don't like that first sentence....should more accurately be: When you are running it at 1/2 throttle and above, the majority of the fuel being supplied to the engine is flowing thru the high speed fuel delivery circuits of the carb.

That would include the main jet, and the larger of the two brass nozzles.
I've taken it apart and double checked it about three times. I've soaked it in carb cleaner checked all ports with tip cleaner and know blockage. Can you tell me which is the main jet. I think the needle valve on front is slow idle. I buoght a new carb kin no luck. I dont see any other adjustments. Thanks for your help

Main jet is down in the bottom of the bowl. Usually accessed thru the bowl drain screw on the side of the bowl.
The idle mix screw is toward the rear of the carb, top right side going into that plastic top cover.
The screw in the front is a plug and should be tight, with a gasket under it.

I have an 8 horse on the bench right now. Just did the carb. 1994 model, but the carbs should be very very similar.
There is a difference in mine, in that there is a nylon looking structure in the bottom of the bowl that houses the main jet, and a weird rubber tube that supplies idle fuel.....you will probably have brass nozzles...right?

OK OK scratch that. I was on a 1999 (saw the "ee" and had a brain fart.) It is a 1992. SOOOOO....

Yes you have the same main jet nylon looking part in the bowl. You will see it screwed into the side of that part they call a nozzle well. You must have that round gasket at the top of that nozzle well, and you must have that rubber gasket below the nozzle well that is pressed into the bottom of the bowl. Any leak there, and the carb will not flow fuel.

Look up your engine on shop.evinrude.com. The carb page shows parts ref. # 2, 6, 8 for the parts I just talked about, and the main jet is #23.

EDIT: And yes, your mixture screw is indeed in the front top.

Well man I'll have to pull it down again but I'm pretty sure its on there . I kind of hope its not I'm tired of messing with it. Thanks I'll let you know what I find

Well man I'll have to pull it down again but I'm pretty sure its on there . I kind of hope its not I'm tired of messing with it. Thanks I'll let you know what I find
Well I finally figured it out. The top plate on the carb has five screws holding it down. The top plate has numbers by each screw hole 1-6 the number 6 hole doesn't have any threads to put a screw so if I tighten it down giong by the numbers the numder 6 hole would have a gap underit causing a leakI

I don't have any idea about numbered screw holes, but two of those holes are different, in that they are used to mount the air silencer...right? The air silencer has two entirely different style screws to attach it with.

Back