Logo

QD-13 water in cylinder

oldamerican

Well, just finished rebuilding and restoring the lower unit of my '52 QD-13 and decided it was time to try and start it. Hooked up the hose and adapter to the water inlet and almost immediately notice water dripping out of the carb. :-( Never went further. Pulled the plugs and turned it over, water shot out the plug hole. I'm thinking this can't be good. Is it possible the water pressure from the hose just forced the water past a seal or gasket? Or am i looking at a crack in the block or something like that?

Thanks for the leads. Sounds like there is still hope. I have some bolts in the head that don't want to let loose. Afraid i will twist them off. Have been spraying Rustblaster on them but still uneasy about just forcing the issue. Is there a better way?

I assume one wants to focus the heat on the head of the bolts rather than getting the entire bolt and head heated? Also wondering what the path for the water is. If it comes up that 3/8" copper tube that connects to the bottom of the powerhead, i'm thinking I can hook a hose to that and inject some liquid (maybe kerosene that won't cause rust like water) and see if I can find where it is leaking without tearing everything apart? For sure the exhaust cover and baffle are visible by looking at the hole in the bottom of the power head. Just not familiar with the passages for the water in this engine. Now a '52 Pontiac flat-8 I am right there!!:D

Back