Logo

Engine is reving high in nuetral position??

YP_Legend

:confused: I have an omc 120 & the engine is reving high when started in or is shifted to nuetral. It still will shift into forward (& i believe would also shift into reverse) & then seems to run fine. I picked up a stick in my stern drive & after i shut down & removed it this all began as i started it back up. Being out on the water a long paddle to the dock i engaged it into forward & the boat motored on back just fine but it was hard on things engaging into gear at the high rpm. I am not a marine mechanic but have a book & the tools. Any ideas where i need to start? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

start by looking at the throttle linkage, and a basic visual inspection of the carb (and choke) and control cables. The stick in the prop was probably not related - coincidence - your boat's just trying to trick you with the timing of the 2 events.
Unless this was some seriously violent stick that slammed the engine to a sudden stop? You say you shut it off, so it doesn't sound like that.

Last edited:
Back