Logo

f115 diead and wont start.

bigfish3

I have a Yamaha f115 tiller steered outboard on my 24' carolina Skiff.

This engine has operated flawlessly since the day it was new in 2008.

Regular mtc has been performed and always fresh fuel.

Today as I was leaving a Marina heading back home the engine rpms started to jump around followed by a long single repeating warning buzzer. Eventually the engine stalled and I could not restart it.

I was towed in to a nearby restaurant dock by a commercial guy.

I called a freind and had him go to West Marine for a new fuel ball, replaced it and still no luck.

Engine cranks like mad but I still have the buzzer sounding.

I do not have any gauges as this is tiller only.

2008 Yamaha f115
The engine RPMs began to fall eventually the engine stalled. I was able to restart it and it ran for a moment then sputtered and died again. It has not started since.

This acted like a fuel problem.
1, I replaced the ball on the fuel line. No change.
2, replaced VST filter, no change.
3, replaced the water separator filter, no change
4, replaced the injectors, no change.
5, oill level is fine, but dirty.
6, pressure gauge on the rail shows 45lbs and climbing while cranking.
7, there is spark on all cylinders.
8, YDS software shows no issues! I am able to fire the cylinders, injectors and run the pumps using the YDS. There is fuel in the rail and the plugs do get wet!
9, The battery is fully charged.
10, There is no more alarm.

It still wont start.

I am out of ideas...

Recheck engine spark without ydis IMPORTANT! (using ydis for spark test should only be for testing ignition coil and ecu output)
check stop switch/kill switch and loom (if white cable is grounded fuel injection is cut along with ignition and isc stopped) i'm unsure if ydis tests can be carried out with this lanyard on (switch off)
During cranking, the ignition timing should be at 10degree BTDC until the engine starts
check pulsar coils
check isc valve functioning (Unlikely the problem)

Last edited:
Back