Logo

Identification help please

SoupKing

Our boat club have inherited an abandoned boat (Scorpion 21) complete with MerCruiser engine which was pretty much neglected by the previous owner in our yard for 3 years. We have now fully acquired ownership of the boat and engine from the previous owner and are working on a project to make the boat sea worthy again for our members use.

I have a list of items we'd wish to purchase and I know the best way to identify the appropriate parts list is via the engine serial number - this I cannot find ................ lol

I've taken some photos which would perhaps help identify the unit. Or I'd be more than happy to look for / advise / photograph in greater detail & quality anything that may be of use to help identify and purchase all of the parts below please? (is it permitted to upload or PM those?)

Also I've noted the following markings (it's an inboard GE 3ltr straight 4 cyl assembly / sterndrive / zdrive)

GM ENGINE CASE MARKING 4097080 \142 01 & HH IA 8068686
STERNDRIVE PLATE REF 0B685475
ZDRIVE PLATE REF 0B655907
? CANT FIND SPECIFIC ENGINE PLATE REF

**Update Thursday - Last night the lads working on it thought that the motor was much newer than the stern-drive serial numbers, but we noted the serial plate is missing due to the prev owner using an after market starter with the wrong fitment shape & he welded an arm on right where the plate marking should be - we could see the pins. On disassembly last night there was another faint marking on the engine that looks somewhat like a Mercury part number starting 1M0621--- ? (then some weld marks). But I cant make sense of that number in the Mercruiser serial tracker list either - its very frustrating. Really appreciate any guidance gents. Thank you so much.

are the original starter bolt holes there, looks like some redneck engineering for a starter bolt.
The words "lads and gents" makes it sound either Irish or not in the USA

Last edited:
You are not wrong in the quality of the botched repair - seems they had an ill fitting aftermarket starter and 'fashioned' a bracket. My text was a little informal as it was copied from an earlier email to a close friend ................ but you were close - we are in Scotland :eek: - The original bolt holes are indeed there and all the 'mess' now removed. Pretty sure the appropriate starter is this one here .... http://www.keypart.com/stock/18-5919

looks like the correct one"laddie" It`s simply amazing how redneck engineering will get you out of a jam,sometimes.
A lot of that stuff is done overseas where parts are not obtainable.

Thanks Doc but I need a boat load (excuse the pun) of parts - its the bigger picture of what that engine actually is to ensure I get the correct components ........... or to perhaps simplify my question would I need service manual 90-12410 / 90-14693 1R1 / OR 90-916462 R2, can that possibly be determined from the photos please?

Thanks Doc but I need a boat load (excuse the pun) of parts - its the bigger picture of what that engine actually is to ensure I get the correct components ........... or to perhaps simplify my question would I need service manual 90-12410 / 90-14693 1R1 / OR 90-916462 R2, can that possibly be determined from the photos please?

Ayuh,.... That motor is the Mercruiser version of the 2.5l Chevy I4,....
The 3.0l version is completely interchangeable,....
The visual clue is just the crankshaft Pulley, Vs: a pulley, 'n harmonic balancer on the 3.0l,....

If it's an '87, it oughta be an Alpha 1 drive,....

Back