Logo

OMC cobra milky gear oil

doug4320

Contributing Member
I checked the oil level in my outdrive the other day. It was hardly on the dipstick . I cracked the bolt on the oil fill and nice clean oil ran out. I poured half a quart down the dipstick hole to bring it up to full. Out of curiosity I cracked the drain plug on the lower unit . Out came milky oil . If the drive was taking on water wouldnt it be over full? The outdrive was taken off for an engine replacement and stored in a barn and also stored on a cold concrete floor . The boat hasn't been on the water for almost 3 yrs . Condensation? Any insight is helpful thanks.

pressure and vacuum test your drive and then you'll have peace of mind. On a boat with no drive reservoir, you want to do the tests every season.

You can test on or off the boat, but off will allow you to see upper gear housing seal on the input end.
Get a kit like this and follow the instructions in the kit or the manual to see what seals are leaking, then retest after repairs:
pressvac.jpg

Thank you . Them gadgets aren't cheap . I have a buddy that does HVAC and he pulls vac on ac units. I wonder if he can do it. The unit was off the boat. I installed new gaskets and o rings before reinstalling it. The boat hasnt seen water . I wonder if I should jus change the gear oil and take the boat out for a spin. Inspect the gear oil afterwards?

there are kits for way less that will do it. A bicycle pump can be rigged up with a valve and an oil fill adapter to find the leak.
I have the ones pictured and they are excellent.

My friend can vac test it and has a pump to fill it. I don't have a manual . Any idea what numbers to look for /work with while vac testing

Back