Logo

Dr H diagnostics tool?

btravlin2 - I have also considered purchasing Dr. H or similar software for diagnostics, but have put it off since I've not had any significant problems with my 2007 BF 225. First and foremost you should learn how to pull fault codes in case an alarm goes off. Those fault codes usually pinpoint the problem or at least get you real close.

The other thing that is well worth the money is to purchase a copy of the Helm Official Shop Manual for those engines. It costs about $116 from eBay or Amazon. The detailed maintenance procedures and the diagnostic procedures will save you some big bucks.

There you go again CHawk_man.....making SENSE....as usual:~)

I believe that the Dr. H tool would be what is referred to as "backward compatible". Meaning it should work as well with the older engines as it does with the newer ones. As long as the tool comes supplied with the appropriate connectors, the data retrieval should be pretty much the same. But...it is an excellent question to ask of ANY supplier you may want to buy from.

I think the diagnostic tool COULD be considered something REASONABLE to have for the individual outboard owner IF you have a good understanding of the internal combustion engine and a basic understanding of "automotive" (12volts) electrical systems related to electronic fuel injection.

I qualify it that way because many people will buy one of these thinking it is a "magic box". Something that, once you've shelled out the cash, will give you "all the answers". Well...it just doesn't work that way. It's really just another tool when it comes right down to it and there are MANY folks out there that own their own scanner but STILL can't figure out why their engine doesn't run correctly because they don't have the background or training to properly interpret what the scan tool may reveal.

Also, the professional will probably use this tool AT LEAST once a day...while most of us will buy it... MAYBE use it once....and then put it in a drawer for a long time. That's actually what we WANT to happen! If we needed it all the time....that would mean our engine is constantly giving us problems!

Having said all that though...it is a statistical fact that diagnostic time is THE #1 area of cost associated with taking your EFI engine to a repair shop IF it has a running issue. And, with the prices I'm seeing for some of these tools.....it may be that the thing could almost pay for itself the first time you needed it. That is...IF you REALLY needed it.

As CHawk_man points out....JUST the ability to retrieve the codes and then being able to interpret what they may be telling you will, MOST of the time, get you close ENOUGH.

And I would say having that HELM Inc. shop manual is the FIRST purchase any DIYER should make. That is a TOOL too....and...just beneath your BRAIN...I would consider it the most ESSENTIAL tool you could own.

Because, the manual will tell you HOW to do many things that the scan tool will not. How to check fuel pressure...fuel volume....how to clean and replace the VST and fuel pump.

The THERMOSTATS have a GREAT deal to do with engine performance but they won't be listed on the scan tool menu. They ARE in the shop manual. And the list goes on...timing....valve lash....crankshaft thrust....all things part of having your "ducks in a row" when sorting out a "runability" issue or for just keeping an eye out on how things are wearing.

But there is CERTAINLY a good argument to be made that having the ability of plugging in and seeing, in real time, what your ECM is seeing and doing could be almost priceless at times. Being able to see what the sensors are reporting...if they are in range or not...what the computer is commanding...fuel injector pulse widths....IAC percentages....and inputs...rpms...TPS signal...O2 switching....all right there in front of you....
....is obviously pretty valuable.

Owning your own scan tool would give you the ability to build a data base on your properly running engines so that you know what's a"normal" value for a given component or operating condition should you choose to use it to become more familiar with how your outboards operate. This will make troubleshooting even easier when the need arises.

So...it boils down to....what do you ALREADY know? How much do you WANT to know?....and, maybe.....how much do you want to LEARN?

Aside from those considerations would be the cost. You have to do a bit of self assessment to answer the above questions and then square them with any budget you may be working with.

And then....there's me.
I'd like to own one just to play around with it!

jgmo.......you made up my mind for me: not right now on the Dr H. Shop manual, yes. I had the manual on my old 225 Sea Runner and it was a necessity.

Update on motors.....I got impatient and the seller was busy with other repairs and sales. So, I offered less money in consideration of the numerous things I will have to deal with. He agreed. He has the proper crates and will be packaging them up for shipment.

Since the first thing to do is change the impellers, I might as well do the mid-shaft bearings, even though that problem isn't as prevalent on the 25". After that I'll adjust the valves. Then I'll replace the O2 sensors and the thermostats. Finally, I'll hope that a tank of gas with Ring Free will bring up the one low cylinder. If it doesn't.....well, that's the risk I'm taking. Worst case scenario......I might have to hone and re-ring it.

Now I've just got to find the many hours it'll take to do all this, 'cause I can't pay someone to do it.

Anything else I'm missing?

To Skooter and CHawk_man....THANKS GUYS!

To Btravlin2....

The GOOD thing about holding off on ANY purchase is that, in the meantime, you can continue to shop. And, the more you shop....the more you know.....and....the more you know....the better the ULTIMATE decision will be for you.

Owning the shop manual is going to make doing the things you listed MUCH easier and you will be working with confidence.

Once those two bad boys are hung on the stern of your boat and purring sweetly.....I'm sure your thoughts will drift BACK to the software interface. Start dropping the hint's now and.....you never know.....Christmas is just around the corner.

As far as the work goes....they're Hondas...so I'm guessing you will be "checking" the valve lash rather than "adjusting". My experience with Honda is that they don't change much. But it is always good to check it occasionally and adjust it IF needed.. Especially on a NEW buy of USED gear.

And, as far as checking....that would go for the engine's base timing setting too. You will want to have the manual and read the procedure for checking the timing to make sure all is secure in there with the belts...pulleys....and tensioners. And...you should probably check the alternator belts while you're at it.

CHawk_man would be the guy to ask specifics on the 225 as he has kept his up and purring like a kitty cat for many seasons now. He is likely to have some pearls of wisdom for you if he hasn't told you about them already.

Good luck.

Does anyone know if there is something about the BF225 (mine are 2007’s) that make them less compatible with Dr H or Similar diagnostic kits?

For example.....a USA seller on eBay lists all compatible years and models. Just about all are listed, but I notice BF225 is not.
I contacted the seller and he confirmed it will not work with my outboards.

The Dr. H seller website says all models including up to 2017.

Nearly $400 is a little steeper than I wanted to spend, but if only option....

thanks for sharing any info that will help me buy the right kit

I know this is an older thread but just figured id add a little insight, I purchased the Dr H kit and it works great, reads all trouble codes, gives diagnostics and readings on all major items as well as hrs and trivial things. Have a 2003 bf225 , would love to take it to a dealer and not have to mess with it myself, but unfortunately in central ny the dealer we have thats about and hr away doesnt really want to work on old stuff, they just want to sell new, been trying to get in there since April to get some things done, july now. So its a great tool for the competent do it yourselfers, hope this helps someone, and thanks to all the site contributors you've definitely helped me alot!

Roger that! Glad it's working out for you. I still haven't purchased one, but stand ready to do so if I feel the need. So far I've not had the need.

One point. I think that the BRP Diagnostics software and connectors is still running around $400. That's less that 4 hours of labor at a typical repair shop around here. So economically, it makes sense for those of us who try to do their own maintenance and repair.

I can't remember exactly what I paid for it was somewhere in the 250-400 range, but in my opinion and circumstance worth every penny! Thanks chawk for all your excellent information!

Great info for anyone considering buying the BRP Diagnostics Dr. H!

Testimonials like yours take the guessing and worry out of the "should I go for it?" question.

Also, you are probably WAY better off avoiding a "repair facility" with that poor an attitude toward customers. I would be worried sick if my outboard was left in a place like that. Too many horror stories about botched service and boats held "hostage: for weeks or longer.

Thank you for taking the time post this thread!

Great info for anyone considering buying the BRP Diagnostics Dr. H!

Testimonials like yours take the guessing and worry out of the "should I go for it?" question.

Also, you are probably WAY better off avoiding a "repair facility" with that poor an attitude toward customers. I would be worried sick if my outboard was left in a place like that. Too many horror stories about botched service and boats held "hostage" for weeks or longer.

Thank you for taking the time post this thread!

Thanks jgmo, hopefully it helps someone, as I received a lot of great advice from you and all the other members posts. It was definitely disappointing though to have a dealer not be interested in service work, somestimes its just nice to drop something off and let a professional handle it. Oh well, guess that's the future, at least im handy and have been fixing my own stuff since I was old enough to handle a screwdriver. Definitely thankful for sites like this with tons of valuable info!

Hello, my name is Sebastian, I am from Argentina. I am trying to develop a scanner compatible with Dr. H. I need to know if someone could send me the software. I agree to share the results of the tests and provide the necessary information so that you can manufacture your scanners on your own. I am willing to share YDS, SDS and Evinrude Etec software. With their respective schemes for its manufacture.
Thank you!

Last edited:

Hello, my name is Sebastian, I am from Argentina. I am trying to develop a scanner compatible with Dr. H. I need to know if someone could send me the software. I agree to share the results of the tests and provide the necessary information so that you can manufacture your scanners on your own. I am willing to share YDS, SDS and Evinrude Etec software. With their respective schemes for its manufacture.
Thank you!

Trying to reinvent the wheel?? Just buy it! It's not expensive

Dear Friend. I tryed to buy the scanner but in my country with the restriccions that we have the price ascend to 600 USD. 600 USD in Argentina is a lot of money. A complete family live a entire month. For us is very expensive. I tryed download the software but i can't find. If someone can help me, please sendme the software via wetransfer or another method to [email protected].
And I have another question, windows detect the scanner like a COM PORT o a specific device, someone can put a print screen with a Windows Device Manager?
Thanks a lot!
From Argentina!!!

I know this is an old thread and is somewhat of a crapshoot however i just bought the [FONT=Open Sans, Tahoma, sans-serif]06395-YH0-000AH OE honda kit from bike bandit for $190 and will update with my findings in a few days to all that are still Leary....[/FONT]

I bailed out on the Doc H and went with the healtech instead assuming you do need dealer credentials for the Doc to work and I don't want to waste more time.

I bailed out on the Doc H and went with the healtech instead assuming you do need dealer credentials for the Doc to work and I don't want to waste more time.

Let us know how you like it, I was trying to get Dr H but doesn't seem possible either. Healtech looks interesting but can't find much about it.

I got the heal tech hooked up and it is very simple and easy to use. For the money you cannot go wrong. I bought it from eBay for my bf200's 2008 model year their add says the cut off year is 2007 but its wrong. Basically if your motor has the red diagnostic plug it will work. It was $230 podiumsuperbikeinc was the seller got it in three days from Michigan.. You download the software from their site free.

View attachment HT_HDS_20210701-084209 port full warm.pdf[attacScreenshot 2021-07-01 085825 star warm.pngh]27249[/attach]

Just a couple screen shots for your viewing pleasurer at this time both of my 2008 bf200's are running well with no alarms. the signal voltage from the o2 sensors bounces around a lot. And the hours reported from the healtech are 100 hrs less than indicated on my gauges not sure what that is about. I like the product and i feel it works well....

Attachments

• HT_HDS_20210701-085854 star warm.pdf
    223.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Back