Logo

Dr H diagnostics tool?

Jose M

I recently spent a lot of time debugging my engine because it would not pass 4000 rpm.
I read the posts in the forum and they were a big help.
I read the MIL codes and the ECU had a MIL of 1
So I currently checking the heated Ox sensor and the spark plugs.

Hopefully I will get it resolved.

My engine is a BF 225.

The reason for the post is twofold.

First to ask any members of the forum with a Dr.H
What is their experience with the tool as far a value in diagnostics.

Secondly, to perhaps get a few members together to buy a DR. as a group.

The price is around 400 USD and if we get 20 people it will cost around 20 US each.

Each participant of the group would be entitled to two weeks a year , and still allow some extra time for transportation.

Surely there are some logistics to be worked out but lets start a discussion and see where it goes.

I could afford to buy the thing myself but would sit unused 99% of the time

Thanks for your input

Another strategy you might consider if you don't get a lot of interest in this "format" might be for you to purchase the tool for yourself and then offer it out to forum members (or anyone for that matter) for a nominal fee...say $30 bucks for one weeks usage. Of course, a substantial "security deposit" would be required...say $200...that would be refundable upon the prompt, on time return of the tool in good, undamaged condition. Renter would pay all shipping fees.

I have never used this tool but I sort of like the concept.

The only problem I see with either concept is the wait time involved between the time you recognize the need and the time the Dr. H arrives. However, give the way boat yards and repair shops are backed up these days, that may not be a problem at all.

I would jump in under either scenario,

The reason I would NOT" jump in" is this:
Most, if not all, of those Dr H tools being marketed to individuals are bogus. You can easily go on other Honda forums and see that, besides the tools not working very well, the counterfeit software that comes with them can put your ECM in a spin. Bad ju ju!

How do I know these things? Well, for one, I have a cmplete, genuine, in the box, never been used, Honda HDS. I came by it because it was offered as barter for my outboard repair services. I accepted it as payment because I was promised, by an officer of the companythat I would be allowed to go on to the DR. HONDA website and DOWNLOAD the neccessary software. My intentions were to use the tool to expand my business with the understanding that I would be giving the "dealership" a percentage of my earnings using the tool for two years. Win win situation. That never happened. Shortly after I accepted the tool, I found out the "dealer" I obtained it from wasn't paying his parts bill and Honda cut off his dealer access. Long story short? It is a boat anchor in my closet!

The ONLY way I know that you can obtain the operating software and get scheduled updates is to gain access to DR. HONDA website by being a bonafide dealer.

Yeah, HONDA, just like FORD, GM, TOYOTA and pretty much every other OEM doesn't have any desire to allow "civilians" total access to their diagnostic information. Repair and parts sales is a very large part of their busineess and intrusions into that access undermines the profit that dealership repair shops absolutely expect. The dealer I got the tool from had little CHOICE in purchasing it for $2500. It just showed up one day with the bill. The recipients did not do outside repair and don't have a shop OR a showroom for outboard sales. They were/are a large boat rental business are essentially a "high volume consumer". They obtained dealer "status" simply as a result if purchasing large numbers of 8, 9.9, and 20hp outboards. None if which require the use of the HDS for diagnosis. The rub is, in order to MAINTAIN dealer status a business MUST make a minimum amount of purchases from Honda every year. The $2500 sale of the tool was a part of that process.
"Outside" concerns such as Snap On, OTC, Autel and others might gain access for their tools but you can be sure that each pays a hefty fee for doing so.

Just last week I purchased Dr. H, likely from the same seller that Jose M has found. I received the package from Australia in 6 days from the time I sent the money via paypal. I am 3 hours from the closest Honda dealer so the cost of the software was less than one trip in fuel to the dealer. The software I received worked great to diagnose a problem on my motor, which turned out to be a faulty tachometer. It has not created any issues or bad ju ju (using JGMO's words) with my ecu.

Thank you to all on this board who post issues and solutions. The Honda dealer network is weak in my area, so my only solution was to figure this engine out on my own. CHawk_man has been very helpful on my journey. Thank you.

I'm glad to hear that you were successful in repairing your outboard and that your new tool worked for you. I have not used any of these aftermarket tools and I was quoting people that had less than a wonderful experience with the Dr. H. It does seem that the tools can provide some useful function and, to clarify my "bad juju" remark, it seems that the tool only seems to "scramble" the later model ECU's
and it also appears that they can be recovered. I don't know if I would take the chance though.
What year model do you have?
You say " the software". Does that mean you bought a tool of some sort or are you using a laptop and an interface cable?

I would love to find something that worked reliably but yours is actually the first positve report I've seen on this.

I have a 2004 or 2005 model BF200. I have not seen Dr. H at a dealership, so I have no idea if there is anything different about my software vs. theirs. What I purchased came with a CD with an install file, and a tutorial on basic operation ( I wish the tutorial was a bit more in-depth). It also included a cord with a usb plug routed through a small interface box and a cable with a connector that hooked into the red service plug on the front of my motor.

When I was searching the internet, I did find one other aftermarket software that was designed for Honda motorcycles and the seller said it worked with outboards and did no more or no less than Dr. H. It was less expensive, but I wasn't comfortable enough to make that purchase. There are other options on ebay that are the motorcycle software, but they are from Lithuania and Croatia. Those sellers included a service manual, but it was more expensive than from a USA seller

So far so good with my version. I don't doubt that others have had bad experiences. I was left with several bad choices to work on my motor, and I hope I chose the lesser evil. I am going to hook it up again tonight as I try something different with my motor. I will keep you posted if I have any trouble.

Well, the one thing none of us can argue with is success. If it works, it works! I hope you get many years of valuable use from it.
Thanks in advance for any more insight on how it performs for you. I will definitely be tuned in!

I've been waiting almost a YEAR to hear back from Troy Spitzer.....

AND...until I hear further of the MANY SUCCESSES of the aftermarket stuff being sold on Ebay and such....I still say that anything you get that way will probably just be a "shadow" of the actual DR H system developed for their outboards.

Yes, the outboards are based on the automotive engines and Yes, if you can plug in an auto or motorcycle scanning system, you could likely retrieve SOME of the data stream for an outboard. I don't think they are all that dissimilar from each other. BUT you don't know what you don't know....in other words...you'll not easily be able to tell if the parameters and calibrations are the same from one engine "family" to the next and, at least in my opinion, bad information is worse than NO information at all. Especially when you're paying $1500 smackers for it.

Guys...., cant understand how there is so much incorrect information on this thread!!!
just like Troy spitzer i got Dr H from the same guy and it works fine........you need to understand the difference between DR H and the HDS rubbish
i did a lot of checking before the purchase and this is what i found:

the Dr H kit from brp diagnostics has everything you need for a full working Dr H system , interface + genuine Honda Dr H base + update software,
not this is NOT aftermarket , its the proper Honda stuff!!
the interface is slightly different but about the same size (i had a 'proper' Dr H kit from a closing dealer to compare) and works exactly the same , i have even got my genuine Dr H to work with the same software so i actually have 2 kits now!!
it is correct that dealers get software from the honda site but this kits comes with it on CD so no problem at all , and its latest 2014 stuff

the HDS marine kits that you see on ebay.....had a good look at these LOL , these are a chinese copy of the Honda motorcycle system and have VERY LIMITED functions for outboard motors comapred to Dr H , check the screen shots for yourself , the ebay HDS has 1 shot of the actual diagnostics , the rest is just vague
shots of a interaface on a background of honda stickers , we cant even really see if its genuine Honda HDS software so i am not surprised this has fried a few ECU's,
and yes i think the guy is from lithuania or similar.
Now check out the Dr h page from brpdiagnostics , several screen shots showing all the features , these is even a link to a youtube vid showing Honda dealers using Dr H!! , sorry Mr jgmo , this aint no 'shadow'

I took a detailed look at the BRP Diagnostics kit. Darned impressive. Do you need any of the optional items in order to have it work on the BF 225? That is, do you need the battery cable, or does it use the power from the ECU? Did you get the extension cable? Do you need to specify a particular connector to interface with the service connector on the BF 225?

Glad some one is taking an interest!!
kit come as shown on the site with Interface and CD with the software (base + update) + drivers , everything you need for a full working kit
the latest update came on a standard CD so i suppose they have not had time to add to the main CD yet??
USB goes into your PC and the 4 pin connector on the interface goes to the std red DLC on the motor , just switch ignition on and you are good to go
from what i understand this covers all motor 2006 on , before this they used a simpler MIL or blinky lights where faults were read by plugging in a 2 pin connector and reading the flashes from an LED??
i am not 100% sure as i just do the later stuff , maybe some one with more experience can chip in and confirm??

Roger that. I try to do all of my own maintenance except the 400 hour, which I may start doing, given my last bill. I think I will give this a try in a month or so and I'll post how it worked for me.

WOW! I am not an owner of the "Dr. H", but I did buy the honda hds marine software from ebay..It's not "rubbish", nor has it "fried" my ecu. Let me state, I have zero affiliation with any software company or honda dealership. I am just a guy that like to do his own mechanic work and it has been a great tool in my arsenal to troubleshoot issues that I have had with my twin 200s. I am very pleased with the software from ebay and I think the other 290 buyers from ebay are too. The seller's feedback from whom i purchased it is 290 and has 100% feedback. Before I made my purchase, I sent 2 emails to BRP diagnostics and never heard from them, so IMO, I figured they had bad customer service or only dealt with dealers. I have compared what they offer on their software (I saw their video) and it tests the same exact parameters as the software that I have, only difference is the background color of screen. Once again it had been a great asset and I highly recommend it. btw, before I bought the software, I called my 2 local honda dealers and neither one had hds in their shop.

Last edited:
hmmmmm. curioser and curioser! I went to the BRP website and looked at the price and I was IMPRESSED. For less than $400 dollars you can get EXACTLY what the dealers get from Honda when THEY pay $2500????

Then...Skooter...whom I've known from here for a few years now....says they aren't too friendly.....SHOOT! What gives?

AND...I didn't know you could even BE a HONDA dealer and not provide HDS service! That would be like going to the Chevy dealer and being told they don't use Master Tech.

Now I'm going to go look on Ebay! I probably still won't buy YET (no pressing need anymore) but it IS good to know this stuff is working for someone I know and have a bit of knowledge about.

Thanks for your post Skooter!

wow , never meant to start a crap fight here!! , just a simple post for the benefit of forum users that tech manuals that may be very useful to them are available to download from that site!!!
you guys can buy anything you like HDS or the correct Dr H diagnostics tool , i have both here in my shop and i tell you the Chinese copy HDS in not a patch on the proper Dr H kit , i think there
is one thing we can all agree on , the Dr H is the tool used by dealers and is the correct tool for diagnostic on your motor , if you want to do professional repairs to dealer level like i do in my
shop its really a 'no brainer' what to use , do your own checking , dose any genuine Honda service manual EVER say HDS?? , from 2006 on its all 'plug in your Dr H" !!!!!

This AIN'T a "crap fight". It's a simple Q&A session as far as I'm concerned. I wasn't calling you...well....anything. But I hope you will allow "some of us" (I know there are lurkers) to view any and all "testimony" coming in with as much "wariness" as we each deem necessary. If my comments offend you...I'm sorry. But I WILL continue to comment.

I will say that I HAVE been making a MISTAKE in conflating the HDS and DR. H systems as I seem to be a little behind the times. I do apologize for that. And, if the truth be known, I AM interested in and appreciate your comments about the Dr. H system. Your passion about it alone makes me think that it is well worth looking into further.

So...PSP...THANK YOU...for pointing it out! And for putting up with a "crotchety old man" and his "probing". Perhaps it comes across as too harsh and I will do my best to "modify" my tone in the future. I would hope we can say we are all friends here and I will make a better effort at keeping it that way.

Hey no problem Mr jgmo , we are all friends on this thing , would have got back to you sooner but been flat out in the shop!!
now i have emailed the guys at brpdiagnostics , pointed them to this thread and like me they found it pretty funny!!, these guys dont normally get into things on forums mainly because of all the misinformation!!
they basically came back to me and said if you are in the industry and have Honda motors to test on they will supply a kit Half price to you!!
in return you can give an unbiased opinion on the thing , if its crap tell people , if its the genuine real deal and is everything they say tell people
you are an 'outstanding contributor' on this forum and your opinion is obviously held in high regard , also maybe we can put this thing to bed finally LOL
if you are interested email them!!!!

as for me they have asked me to do some pre-production testing on their new YDS2 kit :)

I think someone has a biased opinion..you're pushing really hard on that software..so what if the other software is a knock off...it does the same thing as "the real deal" and since you own both why don't you point out the differences other than aesthetic appearances.like you said we are all friends..but I feel like you're biased on your opinion and I think people need to know there is an affordable option

DANG!...Just in the NICK OF LATE!...

Sad to say I hung up my service truck and no longer have a viable claim to being a "working guy". That's the "behind the times" part of my last post.

So, I couldn't HONESTLY say to the BRP folks that I am deserving of their offer. I have been looking at becoming the owner of an FI Honda outboard and would still LOVE to have the system but I couldn't do any REAL commercial testing for them.

What I COULD do is offer limited, free scans... with opinion...to the Honda owners in my community and get back to them about how THAT is received. Although...that's something I would do ANYWAY if I owned the system.

Thanks PSP for showing them this thread.....hopefully it illustrates the importance of good communications about their products with the skeptical public about the products they offer. In other words....when someone contacts you with questions.....make it a POINT......to get BACK to them!

dont tell me , tell them!! , email them and see what happens!!! , i am only messenger boy!!!

as for this other cry baby!!!!! , think maybe he is just a sore looser because he didn't get the proper kit that he wanted in the first palce LOL , if he carried on to even half the extent as he has on this forum no wonder they wouldn't deal
with him!!!
its interesting to note that he keeps insisting that his chinese universal copy dose exactly the same as the genuine dealer Dr H , how do you know??? , you have only ever used the aftermarket crap - isn't that correct?????
so you are not really in a educated place to comment are you............
i got both , i i tell you there is a vast difference......

bleat on and cry all you like , i am done this this , got a shop to run and money to make.....

Folks - this is totally inappropriate communication for this forum. Cut it out and drop it. Be adults. End of story.

As a soon-to-be owner of two 2004 x 225 Hondas (I think), I just want to know if the Dr H is suitable that far back? And is this really only for those making a living professionally, or is it a reasonable tool for the rec boater who just wants to know what his motors are doing, and how, maybe, to fix them?

I've been on this board for several years and never seen such animosity here.... I never intended this to be a pissing contest...I merely suggested that since you "own" both diagnostic softwares, to point out the major differences, so others can know exactly what they are. As far as I can see from their demo there are none.

Back