Logo

Fuel tank pickup on 91 tiara... 1/2 tank on gauge but hear air with gas when strong vacuum

slauder

Regular Contributor
Testing the lines and both starboard and port fuel lines. Same results.

i disconnect line from tank at first filter. I apply strong suction and I hear the sound of last of gas (like end of soda from a cup with straw). On gauge I'm not even in red reserve. How far off bottom the the pickup?

Ps they hey seem to be getting gas to run.

How far off the bottom?? You'll probably get a different answer from each of us....anywhere from 0.5 to 1.0 inches should be adequate, for a flat bottom tank

Testing the lines and both starboard and port fuel lines. Same results.

1.... i disconnect line from tank at first filter. I apply strong suction and I hear the sound of last of gas (like end of soda from a cup with straw). On gauge I'm not even in red reserve.

2.... How far off bottom the the pickup?

3.... Ps they hey seem to be getting gas to run.

1.... Although I've not heard this before, it may be possible that the anti-siphon valve is making this sound.
The valve is nothing more than a lightly spring loaded ball-check valve that functions in the non-conventional direction for fuel flow. It's job is to prevent a siphon in the event of a severed fuel line that may be below fuel level.

2.... Remove the dip tube, and take a look and measurement.
It's never a bad idea to examine the dip tube screen anyway. These screens can become corroded and may require cleaning.

3.... There ya go!

Ayuh,.... Dependin' on what it's made of, the dip tube maybe cracked,... Pull it' 'n Look,...

Have two dip tubes on a single tank. Both make the sound and is most probably the ball cock. The tiara deck is 2 inches above the top of the tanks where the pickups are. Pain in a ars. Let you know what I find but might find a volume test easier.

Back