Logo

5hp mercury 4 stroke sputtered now not starting. carb issues

jeepintexas

I have a 2009 mercury outboard 5hp. It has been sitting about a year and a half now. I finally found a John boat to put it on after tons of searching for the right one. I took it to the lake today to test it out. I choked the motor and gave it a few pulls and it fired up and idled roughly for 15 seconds and died. I pushed the choke in and fired it up again on the first pull. It idled roughly for about a minute. It coughed and sputtered the whole time. I pulled the cowl off and gave it a light pull and it tried to start but I noticed it had gas squirting from the two brass nipples above the carb. So I bring it back home and put the lower unit in a bucket of water. I pulled the bowl and cleaned it up and put it back on. The spraying from the nipples had stopped but the thing wouldn't even try to start. I spray some starter fluid in the carb and it comes to life with the choke on and it ran just long enough to use the starter fluid (1 or 2 seconds). Still wouldn't start on its own or stay running. So I put a new spark plug in it and try it. Still nothing. So I pull the carb and break it fully down and clean it. Put the carb back on and go to pull it and still nothing. Then I I spray it with more starter fluid and it fires just long enough to burn what I spray in. I pulled the hose from the fuel pump to see if it was supplying gas. When I pulled the cord the fuel pump shot gas. So what it seems to be is like the fuel isn't getting from the carb to the cylinder. When I cracked the bowl drain plug gas comes out. So I know gas is making it to the bowl. Just not passed that I don't believe. What could be the issue here? I am stumped. Thanks everyone.

Back