Logo

Raw water pump/parts for 1957 312

BrennanJ

I have am restoring a 1957 Century Resorter with an Interceptor I believe to be the original engine and a 312. I have not been able to find the block number and suspect it is hidden by the exhaust manifold.

The pulley shaft on the pump has a leak and I want to rebuild or replace the pump. Have had no luck sourcing parts. The pump mounts to the front of the oil pan has a single input and two outputs. Part number on pump is F-M-330 with an S in a circle. Am very reluctant to dismantle the pump until I know where to get new seals, bearings, and impeller. Would appreciate any suggestions on getting parts.

Are you Hell Bent on keeping your 57 year old raw water pump system OEM?
If so, you'd better source a few extra seawater pump parts, and rat hole them.

If not.... then perhaps consider modifying your system so that a more modern seawater pump system can be used.
One whereby parts are more easily obtainable.

It would be a one-time ordeal.
The system could always be brought back to OEM if need be.

Food for Thought!

Last edited:
My preference would be to keep the boat as original as possible but I'm not obsessed about it. The boat has had 5200 system bottom installed so we've already moved away from a back to original restoration.

Wouldn't have a clue where to start with a seawater pump system though.

You would need to adapt the flange bolt pattern to the front balancer system......... but these are excellent seawater pumps.

Johnson F5B-9 crankshaft mounted seawater pump. F6B-9 is the larger volume pump.

No drive belt side load tension to wear at the shaft bearings.
Easy front cover removal for impeller access.
Only the flange and impeller shaft rotate.
The outer body can be positioned anywhere in a 360* radius.

For a Std LH Rotation engine:
the port shown to our left will always be the supply port.
the port shown to our right will always be the suction port.

This pump is reverse direction capable.
10-24805-01.jpg

Last edited:
These early aluminum Dearborn Interceptor water pumps are typically shot and almost impossible to repair. I have a 1958 Interceptor 185HP (292) and I went to a bronze Sherwood pump that was specified by Interceptor after about 1959 or so. I think they are still possible to find and they allow for the two angled output flanges to properly adapt to the Interceptor front cover. If you want to go that route let me know and I will dig out a part number. Your Dearbomatic transmission may be your biggest challenge as they tend to slip and be slow shifting. Feel free to contact me with a PM or email as I just rebuilt my engine after 20 years of use, converted to freshwater cooling, and would be glad to provide some lessons learned. These are really cool engines, nice, light, and compact with all the aluminum conversion parts. You should have an Interceptor serial number stamped on the top of the front cover. If your Resorter is a 16, then it is most likely a 292 or 272, rather than a 312.

Paul Raley
[email protected]

Gentlemen

Thank you both for your input, I gained more information in the last two days than in weeks of Internet searches.

The previous owner indicated the boat was a 17 footer but I can't find any indication that Century produced a Resorter that length in 1957 so I've assumed it is a 16 footer and I've been guessing on the motor based on firing order rotation. Have been unable to find a Hull number, believe it may have been lost when the bottom transom board was removed.

The Resorter 16 was actually closer to 16 1/2 LOA so that is probably what you have. I think the hull number was on the engine stringer but I would have to check on that. It took me several years to find mine!

Back