Logo

115 Yamaha 4 stroke >< Want start, think its either the Starter Solenoid or Neutral Switch

LakeRat1

This Motor is on a Party Barge & in the water, The Bat. Is fully charged, the motor was run about 3 or 4 weeks ago, every now and then in the past, I have noticed that when I turn the key to start the motor it would take a couple tries before it would get power to the starter and spend motor over, This time no such Luck, I just hear a faint click back at the motor

I Have tried moving the Shift Lever but that has no effect, I am thinking it might be the starter Solenoid

I can get to the motor by using my small fishing boat to get back there and pull the cover off,

Can you tell me what I need to test & how to go about it,?
Can I do test for the problem & Fix it with out pull the Barge out, I have a trailer to load it on, Just will have tow the Barge a couple miles to a Boat Ramp to load it up

Thanks for Any Help That You Can Give

Lake Rat

PS: I am 77

i am 75...it sounds like a battery problem or connection to the battery to me...if you hear the click of the solenoid it is not the neutral switch...the switch is in series with the solenoid...it could also be a badly corroded battery wire...this may not be obvious to the eye...it usually happens near the connection lug and is internal corrosion..you can take a knife and skin a little insulation back and look for grey matter(sometimes green)..you can also check the flexibility of the wires right at the lugs..corrosion will harden them...do you have a multi meter and know how to use it? ..if so a fully charged battery in good shape will read 12.7 volts...then you can look for a voltage drop between the positive post on the battery and the post on the starter post...keep in mind that you will only see the drop if you are pulling current...so you have to look for the drop while trying to start the engine...

Thanks papyson >< I will give That a check, I do have a multi meter, I will take good wire brush and polish up all the connections

it will be a couple days before I can get back to that > < I will post back what Find

Rat

Back