Logo

Velvet Drives seeping fluid

Saltshaker

Contributing Member
Hello, posting for some help on my velvet drives. Although I'm afraid of the diagnosis, transimissions just scare me.

I have '94 454 xl's, that are running pretty nicely. I have velvet drives, model 20-01-004. I've been noticing some ATF in the bilge under the port eng after running. I wouldn't say alot, but enough to notice it there. I also redid the port dripless shaft seal last year (norscot type so they use the same ATF) so there was some ATF leftover in the bilge on that side.

This weekend, before I left, I had a friend whos mechanical look around with me and things seemed dry. We put an oil rag under the transmission and after my trip, I saw there seems to be something leaking from the outboard (port side of the port trans). The boat ran fine, but I am afraid i some some sort of leak. I felt around again and it seems around where the trans bolts to the engine is greasy to the touch. I say that instead of wet as in dripping.

thank you

I just went thru a issue like this on my crusader 270hp. Check to see if the leak is coming from your shift lever on your transmission. The lever that puts trans in fwd-neutral-rev. There is a o-ring in there that leaks. Cheap fix, o-ring only $1.29 but it took me 2hrs to take apart and put together. Mine was hard to get to, I had to remove my starter that was next to my enginen stringer. Any way start there and check for leak. I taped a small white rag on shifter and after 10min of running it was red. Found the leak. Try that, good luck
MakoMike

Re: Port Velvet Drive Dripping fluid

Weekend Update. If there is another forum i should post in please me know, i figured the crusader forum is my place :)

I had a friends mechanic look around the other day, check fluid etc. things looked ok. he didn't really get in too deep though. Had another mechanic look yesterday, he does a lot of work at my club on the side and works for a shop during the week. he dove in and found it leaking with the motor running. this actually made me feel a lot better because at least now i know I'm not crazy and we have something to go on. looks to be left side (outboard) around the lower part of the forward seal. every few seconds he sees a drip. now, what to do. he's going to do some homework and figure out some options. says he can pull it in the water, its a 31 tiara straight shaft, he thinks he has enough room to do it at the dock. he can do it over 2 saturdays. he said it wouldn't bother him running the boat the way it is, get through the summer an do it over the winter.

So, here are a few questions :). on the saturday that he should be able to finish it up (the 28th), i have a trip planned to cape cod (leaving on the 30th) for the week of the fourth. thats about an 80 to 100 mile run for me each way. during the week we'll pretty much be sitting at the dock so not much use.

The motors have 800 hours, he suggested if its apart, do a rebuild too. of course what we find will dictate if its more than the seal (motor is shifting fine). should i go for the rebuild, or try to get it down quick before my trip? I'm even thinking if i should just order a rebuilt trans so i have it on hand and ready.

Should i just run the boat and have him work on it after my trip? he thought it's probably be fine, just keep an eye on the fluid. Timing is the biggest issue, to get it done bt the 30th. i could also take it to his marina pay more but probably get it done quick. the main thing I'm afraid of about rushing it is it doesn't give me much time in case something happens when reinstalling.

Help me decide what to do? I know thats a lot to ask. I'm just trying to find my comfort zone on what to do next.

thanks!

I have 1998 Carver Mainer with 1100hrs on two 454xli with valet drives
From experience, it seems even good shops will miss the date, especially if there is a trip scheduled.

Last edited:
Agree kimosammy. After my trip I have 3-4 weekends open for him to do the work. Are yours Original? I'm leaning toward running the boat and just watching the levels. I think I've lived with it for a year, just finally found someone that looked more in depth.

If you have been using it this long and if you keep an eye on it, it'll be fine, but get it fixed as soon as possible.
I have original engines, drives and transmissions.
Highly recommend changing engine oil and filters between 50 to 60 hrs.
The compression in my engines are all above 150psi so even at high hours, still do ing great.

Ha thanks, just got off the phone with mechanic. He said he wouldn't worry about it too much if I keep an eye on it. And we'll get it fixed after. That will also take the timing pressure off him and me. Not to mention this weekend is the fleet blessing. So we won't have to rip the boat apart in front of a crowd. :)

Ive been doing oil in the fall. I'm in boston so we don't get a ton of use... 100 hrs or so tops of I'd say light use.

Thx.

Last edited:
Hi all, just wanted to update. We did the trip and the boat ran great. We even went through Arthur, we were tied up. Definitely put the boat through her paces. It blew heavy SW all week so most of the travel days we had a good 2-4' on the bow.

I have a few local trips planned for the rest of the season so I feel pretty confident that I can get through and deal with this over the winter.

Thanks

Jeff is there a particular type of Lucas trans seal product for marine transmissions?
Also, do they have have a trans fluid that will work in velvet drive transmissions.
Thanks
ned

Back