Logo

Misfirings @ ~2800 RPMs

dlevine2100

Hello all.
I am a new boat owner, new to this forum.
We bought a 2007 Chaparral 246ssi with a Mercruiser engine.
Now that I am getting to know the boat better, I am starting to notice things. The engine starts and runs good, but I am noticing that starting at about 2600 RPMs, and definitely at 2800 RPMs, I think the engine is misfiring a bit. It is subtle, and me being a new boat owner, wasn't obvious initially. I think there is also a small loss of power coinciding with the subtle misfirings. If I reve it up more, then probably it runs fine at 3300 RPMs or higher. When I am pulling my kids, the engine is around 3000 RPMs, so this is starting to bother me. Any idea of what could be wrong? I have never worked on a boat engine, but I am willing to give it a try if it is something reasonably simple.

Thanks much!

David

We bought the boat earlier this year. I believe the previous owner told me he did the last tune-up sometime last year. I had a mechanic at a local marina inspect the boat before we bought it, he did not report any issues, not sure this issue would have been obvious. The boat had 255 hours when we bought it. Now it has about 269. It may have been like this when we bought it, but me being a novice, I probably didn't notice. Maybe I will go ahead and replace all of the spark plugs. If it is something else, mechanics are very busy right now with long wait times, do you think the engine could be damaged if I wait? Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

First off there is no issue with the motor as in a internal issue,

it is either a

1. ignition issue (wires, plugs, distributor cap (there has been many topics on bad distributor caps). etc)

2. connection issue (efi/mpi have a lot of connectors and issues occur with these connections sometime)

3. fuel issue, bad/clogged filters, water in fuel, bad gas,

This is the most typical issues causing stubbling or missfiring.

Back