Logo

Removing Hyd Shift cable from OMC Stringer 400/ Removing Outdrive

ZOZO

Removing outdrive.....no sweat. Removing shift cable from intermediate housing.....OMG>It was done by previous owner who damaged the outer cover ...then patched it with RTV and heat shink. I have remove the heat shrink and RTV only to discover that the KNOBS on the cover are hardened an will not pull out of the hole thru the intermediate housing.
Is there any possible way to replace transom boot without removing this cable from the intermediate housing hole?

For example: Can I remove the lower unit and the exhaust housing leaving the shift cable left in place?....Will this provide sufficient clearance around the upper unit to install a new transom seal boot( 20 hole).

lots of people report that they just remove the water director ears off the intermediate, and remove the prop and trim anode and then use lots of warm soapy water to stretch the boot carefully over the drive without removing it at all.

Thanks

I will try that if my last effort fails.....I now have the Cable( rubber cover and intermediate "Hole" soaking in PB BLASTER Penetrate.
Maybe it willl pull out after a few soakings .....if not....I will try PLAN B as you mentioned.

ZOZO

Back