Logo

steering

randy lummus

I have a 1983 searay that will not turn to the right while underway.I had to replace the steering cable because it was so hard to turn it broke.I have replaced the power steering pump/ lower swivel retainer and rack and steering cable.it steers with one finger at low speed.does anybody have a suggestion

did it ever work for you? or new-to-you boat?

what is the lower swivel retainer? is that in the outdrive?

where is your trim tab pointing on the lower unit?
trim-tab.gif

Last edited:
It worked ok until recently,it wasn't one finger steering but it wasn't bad. As far as the trim tab goes it has never had one since i have had it i do have one ordered. The lower swivel bearing retainer is in lower unit for drive to turn i changed it because it had a wear groove in it was hoping that would help but it didn't. I see where the worm gear is rubbing on the cover plate top of one side bottom of opposite side. Which makes me think it is in a bind as the motor kicks back with speed.

oh, ok. Did you ever check the shimming of your top exhaust cover. The shims that go in on top of the upper gearbox, dictate how tight the upper will be clamped into the lower unit when the top exhaust cover is drawn down with the 5 small bolts.
I think the upper gearcase is supposed to free float around .020" or so within the exhaust housing (drive housing) if you pry it up and down with a big screwdriver.

Back