Logo

1968 Johnson/Evinrude 55 hp. 3 cylinder

RGP

Regular Contributor
The 1968 3 cylinder OMC was first made as a 55 hp. It was the first looper OMC put in production. It was a technological marvel, flagship model, of it's day. I have owned one, all original, and they are truly great motors.

My question revolves around the ignition system. It consists of: an "amplifier". an under flywheel distributor, a hv coil and two sets of points under the flywheel. Also a stator and rectifier.

I have heard tell of modifiying these early prototype cdi type systems where the amplifier is replaced with automotive type ignition coils and the ignition set up as a battery driven automotive type. It seems plausible. All the components other than the automotive coils are present, but one thing. Two sets of points, driving a three cylinder motor.

Can anyone shed some light on why two sets of points, running off of a single lobed cam are used on this three cylinder motor?

Three sets of points I could figure. One set, with a three lobed cam I could figure. But two sets on one lobe?? what gives? Anyone got that figured out?

Thanks

The 1968 3 cylinder OMC was first made as a 55 hp. Can anyone shed some light on why two sets of points, running off of a single lobed cam are used on this three cylinder motor?

You need to look closer. :)

And when setting those points.................

(Point Setting Of Battery Capacitance Discharge)
( Ignition Models - 1968 thru 1972)
(Some have points - Some do not)
(Joe Reeves)

The points must be set to .010 but no wider than .010..... BUT in some instances due to a possible slight inaccurately machined crankshaft lobe or a slight offset of one set of points, a setting slightly less than .010 would be required as follows.

Whether the crankshaft has two or three lobes, when setting the points, check the setting of the points on each individual lobe by rotating the crankshaft by hand.

You may find that setting one set of points to .010 on one lobe, then turning the crankshaft to the next lobe, the gap measures .011 or .012 (too wide). This is where you would need to close that gap down to the required .010. A gap too wide can result in a ignition miss when throttle is applied.

Bottom line, pertaining to the point setting at the various lobe locations____ .010, .010, .009, is okay____ .010, .010, .011 is not!

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back