Logo

What am I missing from propshaft assembly?

Beany_bot

Hi folks, I have a 1990 5.7 OMC V8 I/O. My prop has approx 1.5" play, back and forth. Unacceptable! Its very hard to explain but I am missing "something" I've attached a picture below and signified in red where the "gap" is. Anyone know what I'm missing? The prop nut is hard up against the washer behind it and wont go any further, the cog looking part behind that has a little wiggle but is firmly in place, and the prop will slide up and down the shaft in that space. Thanks in advance folks.

20140424_170543_zps1c65066f.png

Ive had a look at some exploded diagrams and it would apear that the "cog" looking spacer shouldnt be there at all? and Im concerened that the nylock nut isnt far enough on / isnt the right size. Should this be a castle nut yes?

78 0333592 THRUST BUSHING
0398042 NUT & KEEPER, Propeller
0306394 COTTER PIN, Propeller nut
83 0320570 SPACER, Propeller nut

Ok thanks. I'm going to disassemble tonight and see what I have and whether my prop is original OMC one too. Worst case I just buy all those bits and start a fresh. Straightforward at least.

worst case - you don't buy those bits and trash your lower unit. and yeah, make sure you have an OMC prop on there. Amazing what people will do to fit improper wheels on there.

Alright so the plot thickens...
Just been up to the boat and tried taking it apart, turns out thrust washer is in fact there. I'm starting to think the prop isn't the right one for the boat. I don't know how to best describe it so Ill just post pictures and a video. The plastic sleeve thing from inside the prop slides back and forth but doesn't come up. I also don't think it move when everything is built up, its the prop itself moving back and forth on the sleeve of the inside bit. where on earth do I go from here?

20140610_190515.jpg

20140610_190519.jpg

20140610_191159.jpg

20140610_191206.jpg

yeah, get a different prop - a real 1 pc OMC one that drives through a rubber hub like the boat originally came with. And get spacer #83 and keeper 67

That plastic thing looks hokie.

Last edited:
So we are sure that isnt the original OMC prop? Getting parts here (UK) is very difficult. I might just have to make the current set-up work somehow. If I can find out what type of prop it is (no marking on prop to indicate) then I can find out what washer is missing.

Some old props used a lock washer the was installed before the prop nut that had splines on the inside and tabs on the outside that you bent into the notches on the prop nut to secure it.

The plastic sleeve you see that the prop slips over is just a universal prop that uses a plastic hub. You buy the prop and the specific hub for your application. I have one of these on my VP and have had no issues.

That sliding sleeve is supposed to slide all the way off the shaft.It`s supposed to fit inside the prop hub and shear/destroy itself in the event of a hard bottom strike.

Back