Logo

'83 Evinrude 70hp Problem

Hi all, I hope somebody can help. I have an '83 evinrude 70hp engine on my rhib, it runs like a dream for the first 20 to 30 mins and then it just loses revs so it will go from 28kph down to about 8kph. Sometimes if you jiggle with the throttle lever at the control you can get it back, other times it will just kick in on its own but drop again shortly after.

Carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt, new fuel line, new control cables have been fitted. This is the first outboard I have owned so it is a massive learning curve for me.

Thanks for any help.

Start with the basic trouble shooting procedure as follows:

1 - With all spark plugs removed, check the compression. What are the psi readings of each individual cylinder? No gauge?... Pick one up just about anywhere,,, K-Mart, Walmart, automorive type stores, etc. They're pretty cheap.

2 - With the spark plugs still removed, check the spark. It should jump a 7/16" gap on all cylinders with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it? No spark tester?... available at any automotive parts store... or build the following.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Also... Check to make sure that your engine's warning horn is functional as follows:

(Testing Warning Horn)
(J. Reeves)

On VRO equipped engines where the VRO automatic fuel/oil setup is still being used, make sure that all components are connected as required. This would include the VRO pump wiring harness itself, the oil tank wiring, the overheat sensor(s), and if so equipped.... the vacuum switch that is standard to many V6 & V8 engines.

If the VRO automatic setup has been eliminated and has been disconnected properly, and the fuel and oil is being premixed, make sure that the overheat sensors are still connected, and the vacuum switch if the engine is so equipped.

On engines prior to 1984 which have no VRO setup, ignore the instructions pertaining to the VRO components, etc above.

Turn the key to the ON position (Engine Not Running). Find the TAN wire at the cylinder head(s), then ground out the portion of that wire that is part of the engine wiring harness. If that Tan wire connector has the knife type connector where as it is exposed simply by sliding the rubber insulator back, it does not need to be disconnected.

Grounding that TAN wire should cause the horn to sound. If it does not, find out why as that's the only warning you'll receive should the engine overheat or have some portion of the VRO system fail, or have the engine encounter a fuel restriction if it is equipped with a vacuum switch.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back