Logo

Please help 1985 force 125 won't stay running

Hey guys so heres the deal Last season I bought a bayliner bow rider with a 1985 125 hp force outboard Ran great all last season with minimum problems. Then winter came and I took it out of the water fogged it drained it the usual Then this Season I wanted something with a cabin and came across a 21 ft Steiger without a motor so I grabbed it and spent a few days swapping the motor onto the new boat With a hose and earmuffs the motor ran great just like last season so I took it to the ramp dropped it in the water and drove it all the way to my slip(about a 15-20 min trip.. Once again ran fine no problems Then I went to go out today on a beautiful Saturday and it just wouldn't start. Playing around with it I got it to start only if I popped out the throttle controls and threw it al the way forward(not in gear). Doing that it starts right up and revs high like it should but my problem is that as soon as I bring the throttle back to neutral it cuts off It'll only start if the throttles all the way froward (not in gear) and it'll start and run like this every time but as soon as I bring it back to neutral it cuts out and I can't figure out why Or why it's only happening now after it's been running fine all last season and the start of this one If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what to do or try that'd be great. I tried taking out a bunch of pretty girls in bikinis and was completely embarrassed I couldn't even get it to stay running lolimage.jpg

Ok little update neutral safety switch is fine it ,My gas is fine/ clean , perfect mixture. No water ect I'm yet to do a compressions test but I believe them to be fine the motor does not misfire or anything I've narrowed the problem to be in the carbs I believe I have the air mixture screws adjusted right about 1-1/2 turns (seems to be the sweet spot) It's Deffinately flooding Gass is coming out of the front of the carbs and spitting out of the vent holes This explains why I can keep it running at full throttle (more air to dilute the ton of gas pouring in But still as soon as I let off the the throttle to bring it idle it cuts off I'm not too sure how to mdjust carb floats or if that's even the problem And what really doesn't make sense how this problem occurred over night A friend of mine thinks it could of jumped a tooth and messed up the timing but i don't know how to diagnose that being the problem Really lost here and here we are another weekend without my boat At least I can sit on it at the dock and drink beers lol but I hate not being able to take it out Please help!!!

No such thing as "jumped a tooth" on the outboards.
Once timing has been set.
It usually doesn't move unless the linkage breaks or comes undone.
Or someone messes with it?????
Gas coming out the carb could be the reeds have broken or the floats need setting.

Take the pump apart and see if the diaphragm isn't bad.
Still need to do a comp test.
Uneven comp can affect the fuel pump.
Check for a sheared flywheel key.
Get a manual, a factory one is best but any manual is better than none.
The Seloc or Clymer probably cover a bit more in general. They cover a bunch of models.

Back