Logo

suzuki 115 2008

floundering

hi,
I have a problem that has me stumped. this motor starts right up, idle's good, and can rev 3000 to 5000 rpm's on a set of muffs, in the driveway. drop it in the water, it starts right up and idle's good, but will not take any trottle. just enough to get back on the trailer. take it home back on the muff's, revs right up. Anyone have this problem before? this is my first boat. just got it.

You have a cylinder misfire under load. On the muffs it should cut out at 3000 rpm (rev limiter should stop you from getting more).. this motor will give you 3000 rpm with only two cylinders firing (no load) but when it is under load and you give it the throttle.....it should stall out on ya. Check for spark at all four cylinders...then go from there.

Winding it up on a hose is a mistake.------Even when it is in gear there is no load on the prop.-----In gear on the trailer is still the same as nuetral.

thank you for the reply! it does cut out in netral at @ 3000rpm
in gear ( which I guess I should not do) it goes higher
I have spark @ all plugs.
noticed while I was pulling plug wires that there is alot of oil, looks like clean motor oil, as if it was put there to keep wires from sticking. not sure if that is normal. I can not say i have heard a misfire, it just dies out. I replaced the low and high presure feul filters sunday, but have not made it back to the water to put under load.

You have a cylinder misfire under load. On the muffs it should cut out at 3000 rpm (rev limiter should stop you from getting more).. this motor will give you 3000 rpm with only two cylinders firing (no load) but when it is under load and you give it the throttle.....it should stall out on ya. Check for spark at all four cylinders...then go from there.

Back