Logo

Boat engine revs but won't turn prop in forward

Lasha malazonia

I have a 1988 Bayliner Capri, 2.3L OMC cobra.the engine runs good but when I put it the shifter in forward it will not turn the prop, however it does turn in reverse. I am new to io boat motors an would like some advice on what could be the problem and how I can resolve it . With the motor off when I put the shifter it reverse the prop locks up and will not turn, when trying to turn it by Hand. When I put the shifter in forward it spins freely with a clicking noise. What should I do and what can it be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You need to adjust your shift cable in the drive, according to specs in the service manual! Or, replace it, if it's worn out. This was mentioned in the other forum.

Thank you very much for your reply, I adjusted the shift cable and got it to work, but now when I put it in forward in low throttle i hear a kicking sound, and the prop won't turn but once I give it more throttle it gets going. Is that my dog gears failing?

Also my throttle is very stiff and hard to press down. Is there any way to lubricate the cables to make the throttle smoother?

Thanks again for your reply

Back