Logo

3.0 L omc throttle problems?

Jeremy Uden

Hi I have a 1986 omc 3.0. L. I'm having trouble with the throttle when I use the throttle/ shifter I get to about 2,000 rpms for about ten seconds and it stalls out. But if I undo the linkage at the carb I can give it all the throttle it can handle for as long as I want. Anyone with any idea what could be going on your help is greatly appreciated.

did this start suddenly? gradually? some old scow you bought? lol. If the latter, are you running on years old gas? - start with a compression test of the engine, (look at the spark plugs for oddities while out like water on them) then try running the engine with the ESA module unplugged, do a tune up, change fuel filter (and look at what's in it)

Went thru the fuel system. Is there something in the controls that would cause it to cut out? Cause like I said it runs just fine when throttled by hand as soon as you hook it up to the controls it gets stupid.

It started acting like this after the splines on the upper and Lower pinion shafts wore. I replaced everything and took it out on the lake, I never messed with the shifter or any of the linkage so I'm guessing there is a way to bypass ESA. ?

you can simply unplug the module to eliminate it for test purposes. Is this a Cobra drive or 400 series stringer?
Either way, the shift linkages or cables were handled during the drive repair. Adjustment needed or cable may need replacing.

Back