Logo

1981 898 drive upper seals/u-joint replacement ?

81 checkmate

Hi all......new to the forum....Took my upper apart to replace the drive seal and u-joints……discoveredthat I need a new short yoke…going to use a speedi sleeve to repair the shaftunder the seal. Posted on another forum about my issue and did not receive theanswer I’m looking for. So I’m here looking for advice.

If you can see the pic’s great.

1. Question – The black wear mark on the inside ofthe upper housing case…….It’s not grooved, but a wear mark from the outerbearing race…..Is this upper shot or can I still use it with the same bearings?
2. Question – On CL a guy has two outdrives forcheap….One is a merc 233, other is a merc 888………Can I use either of thesesupper’s?

Thanks,
Mike

IMG_9508 upper housing 1.jpgIMG_1867 upper short shaft.jpgIMG_1582 upper housing 3.jpg

I know, the IBoats site has been problematic.
1 upper is perfectly normal,
2 as long as the gear ratio is correct

Thanks for the quick response.....when you posted last night about this site, I was thinking that's where you work..lol. didn't know this was a forum too. The C.L. guy only wants 50 bucks apiece for the drives.....so I think I'll pick them up for spares. So glad you helped me out....now I can go boating. I'll be patient with iboats......but I like this format so much better!

Back