Logo

89 Yamaha jet lower unit help

pauly10132000

Hi all,
I have a question regarding a 1989 yamaha 50esf-jd lower unit. This boat is my brother-in-laws and he has asked me to look at it for him. The shaft was broke in two down towards the bottom and damaged most of the parts in the lower end. I replaced everything from the engine housing oil seal down to the auger. New shaft, seals, water pump, I did not replace the bearing because I though it came in the kit I ordered but it did not and the bearing felt good. So my question is, after I put everything back together I test ran it with the hose connection for 2minutes and then I backed it in the water to give it a test run. I started it on the trailer and after less then a minute it died. After inspection I noticed that the auger was locked against the wear ring so back home I went. After removing the lower unit again I notice that all the new seals I just put in where all burnt and destroyed. It appears as though the shaft "dropped" down burning up the seals and then locking the auger to the wear ring. The shaft bearing thrust ring was also ground almost flush with the shaft. All seals, and lower unit was filled with grease during/after instalation. Can anyone explain what I may have done wrong to cause the shaft to "drop down" as it did. Is it the bearing that actually holds the shaft up? Thanks for any help.

Back