Logo

1977 omc tilt problems (newbie here)

kenhead

I have a 1977 OMC. (1) I guess it's a stringer as the engine mounts to a stringer in the boat. Is my assumtion correct? (2) this is my first I/O so it's all new to me. (3) also my first attempt asking questions on line so I'm pretty confused as far as the how to and where to so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place or sumptin.
(4) NOW FOR THE PROBLEM......my tilt goes up real slow then slams down so I have to "feather" down with a bunch of little clicks on the down switch. Tilt Motor seems to work but it really appears to be working hard to lift the motor. I'd sure like to know whats wrong as the fish are biteing like crazy and I'm setting at home on my thumb fearfull I'll really damage something if I use it, and the local repair shops are way beyond my budget. (probably the same for most people on this site.) !!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!
Thanx a lot :(

probably the most discussed issue with stringer drives on the internet as the design is poor. However a few things may help:
1. grease the trunnion bearings, - pull the rubber steer bumpers off and there are grease fittings - twice a season is the interval in the manual
2. clean all heavy wire terminal connections with sandpaper - remove the ring terminals, polish both sides shiny, then polish the nut and washer shiny too
3. good battery connections and all wiring to the relays (including fuse) for tilt and to the block on the grd side
4. see what lube is in the tilt clutch (or may be full of water). fill with 90W, 85W140 or similar high viscosity oil (some say grease, but that's just more work for the motor imo)
5. check that there is a gasket under the tilt clutch cover - many DIYers remove it and silicone it- truth is, it isn't a gasket - it's a shim to reduce drag as the clutch turns. Some require 2 shims to turn smooth.
6. check the motor - may need to replace motor with new OEM unit or rebuild yours- it lives in the bilge and coulda been under water at some time. Cheap aftermarkets lack power as do old units full of rust and bad brushes.

On those old stringers it's always a good idea "feather" them down, other wise they can lock up in the down position and you'll be taking the tilt gears apart. Been there.

Ok thanks guys I'll give it a try. If that O/D was made out of wood I'd probably knowwhat to do to fix it but.......... Ken

Back