Logo

Bonding picture

bobct

Advanced Contributor
In follow up to my other post, can you guys comment on my bonding setup? This was not factory and when I got the boat, I just replaced the connectors and didn't really question what was done. A couple of obvious things to point out:

1) The port engine is never connected all the way through to the zinc plate like the Stb side
2) One connection is to the A/C motor mounting bracket. This wire and the A/C seacock wire go right through the engine room bulkhead down pretty low (the only option). I would like to eliminate these if possible.
3) Everything is a daisy chained from bow to stern with bronze part of the engine strainers acting as the primary connection point(s)

I installed a Yandina GI over the winter.

Feedback welcomed. There are a lot of wires and hopefully I can eliminate some.

thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• bonding.jpg
    bonding.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 52
In follow up to my other post, can you guys comment on my bonding setup? This was not factory and when I got the boat, I just replaced the connectors and didn't really question what was done. A couple of obvious things to point out:

1) The port engine is never connected all the way through to the zinc plate like the Stb side
2) One connection is to the A/C motor mounting bracket. This wire and the A/C seacock wire go right through the engine room bulkhead down pretty low (the only option). I would like to eliminate these if possible.
3) Everything is a daisy chained from bow to stern with bronze part of the engine strainers acting as the primary connection point(s)

I installed a Yandina GI over the winter.

Feedback welcomed. There are a lot of wires and hopefully I can eliminate some.

thanks,
Bob
1)The port engine is connected to the stb. via your battery negative cables so its in the system.
2)You should keep the A/C seacock bonded. If the A/C motor you mention is the water pump being supplied by the seacock, I would keep that bonded also.
3)As long as everything underwater is connected your good.
You may also find other metal objects above the water line connected to the bonding system such as railings & windshield frames.This was common in Loran & AM radio installs & was done to improve the signal. They do nothing to prevent corrosion. However,if someone uses it as a shortcut to provide a negative for an accessory than it will increase corrosion. Connecting every metal object to the bonding system also helps to drain off static electricity that occurs during a lightning storm. The theory is that it can help prevent a strike. I don't think we want to test that one

Back