Logo

1968 Mercury Kiekhaefer 6HP Twin 60

biggestloser

I just came into possession of this motor. I started it, in a barrel, and shut it down when I didn't see any water coming from a pee hole or the exhaust.
Does anyone know if this particular engine only exhausts cooling water through the prop.
1968 Mercury Kiekhaefer 6HP Twin 60.Serial # 2289397

Most of the water goes out the prop.--------You must be aware that the impellers on these motors must be replaced on a regular basis.-----Your motor does not have a safety shut down should it overheat.------INSTALL A NEW IMPELLER !

Most of the water goes out the prop.--------You must be aware that the impellers on these motors must be replaced on a regular basis.-----Your motor does not have a safety shut down should it overheat.------INSTALL A NEW IMPELLER !

Thanks for the quick reply. So if the prop become clogged with weeds I have to be aware that there is really only one way to watch for over heating and that if the engine starts smoking. I will replace the impeller ASAP. I wonder why a pee hole wasn't installed in that year.
Thanks again Rich

I just came into possession of this motor. I started it, in a barrel, and shut it down when I didn't see any water coming from a pee hole or the exhaust.
Does anyone know if this particular engine only exhausts cooling water through the prop.
1968 Mercury Kiekhaefer 6HP Twin 60.Serial # 2289397
Greetings,
I got a 6HP Twin 60 also but it is missing one ring on each piston and cannot get going without the third ring. Can anyone tell me where I can get the ring or set of rings for this engine? Thanks for all your kind assistance. Davy.

I installed a pisser on one a while back just drill a hole in the water jacket on top about an inch away from the cover and tapped it with 1/8 inch threads just dont run the tap in just thread about for or five threads that way the brass 90 fits nice and tight about half way down. The I added the pisser from a later model in the lower cowl and run a fuel line between the two it works pretty good. Before you do anything pull the gearbox and see if the driveshaft is still serviceable. The lower seal in the water pump is a oil seal if the driveshaft is all pitted the gearbox is toast.

Back