Logo

175 Sport Jet Ignition Troubles

ShadeTreeMech

Hi, Thanks in advance to all for the input..

My father and I recently purchased a used 1998 Sugar Sand Tango boat witht the Mercury 175 sport jet. We took it to the lake this weekend and had some electrical troubles with it..

It starts fine on a hose, started up quickly in the water, but after running for 30min or so we shut it off and it wouldnt start again. It would turn over but not even a sputter, It acts like it has no fire at all.

After sitting for an hour it started up instantly and seems to run fine. It planes out and runs around 45mph.. We drove back to the dock and shut it off,, wont start again just like before.. Once back home the boat starts up consistantly on the trailer.

I am assuming something is heating up and malfuctioning once warm? The engine does not run hot, it seems to run well on the water but if shut off after running for some time it will not hit a lick at all until wating for some time before trying again..

It looks to have a lot going on electrical wise, I was thinking stator or ecu mabye but seems if they malfunctioned when warm, it start acting up while running, the problem dosent arrive until you turn the engine off and try to start again.

Some side notes..
The saftey lanyard was plugged in (messing with this changed nothing)
The guy said the switch was bad so it has a toggle switch to turn the starter( the ignition key must still be on to start tho,, the toggle only
turns the starter over)
One of the cylinders is at 95 psi, I am assuing it will need a rebuild at some point but seems to have plenty of power for now.

Thanks again.

After some reading, It looks like i should disconnect the kill stop wire (BLK&YLW), And see if the spark comes back. Problem is I am guessing I will have to take it back to the lake to run it around a little and duplicate the problem.

Back