Logo

Spark issue on 1986 125 Force

bullys50

Hello all, this my first post and will try to keep it short. A little history on the boat and motor. I just bought the the boat (1976 Mark Twain) and motor 1986 125 Force with I believe to to be Prestolite electronic ignition, as a "Divorce Special". Previous owner said the motor runs great, and the boat was registered for current year. I didn't get to here it run because when I bought it, it was early in January and freezing. But at the price I paid for it I figured I'd have plenty of room for any repairs.
The motor runs only on full fast idle and will idle after warming up but will die when put into gear. I started trouble shooting, and this is what I found so far. I have a service manual, but having a little trouble understanding the CDI's and some of the tests.
1) Fuel - Tank has new gas and 50-1 oil mix, lines are clear and primer bulb works and builds up pressure. Fuel filter cleaned and looks good. Carbs are getting fuel.
2) Compression test - Am getting 130 - 132psi on all four cylinders doing a cold engine test with throttle wide open while crancking the motor. I did ground the plug wires before cranking the motor.
3) Spark test - Installed new spark plugs. Put a timing light on each plug and cranked the engine. Only have spark (timing light flashes)on the number one cylinder. With light put on other plugs there is no flash on the timing light.
So a couple of questions, Should I see flash on the other three plugs with timing light?
Will the motor start on just one cylinder?
If number one cylinder fires wouldn't number two fire as well if CDI is good for those two cylinders.
Thanks for any and all help you all can give. Bully

Fill out the profile, location.
31THQUebdTL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

You might be close to someone who can help.
Very rare that a coil goes bad.
Since 1985 I've only ran across 1 bad coil.
The pack is divided into 2 parts and 1/2 of it can go bad.
Starting with just 1 cylinder: No(the 50 will run on 1)
Get an inline spark tester it will give the results you need.
Sometimes a timing light won't work??
There are 2 places that give test procedures for your motor.
Outboard ignition . com Or CDI ignition.
Both have basic procedures.
Some of the advanced test require a peak reading volt meter.

Take the fuel pump apart and see if the diaphragm has a hole in it?

Thought i would give an update as to where I am with my motor. Thanks for the replys from Jerry and Catfish.
1) Did the test from my manual on the stator, pick up module, and coil packs. Results: all four coils check out per manual,
pick up checks good, but stator shows an open in one set of windings.
Replaced stator. Now have spark on three plugs (#2 not showing any spark), motor now starts easily and will idle with no problem
and prop turns when put in gear and have water flowing through motor. I guess at this point it's a 90hp.
2) Swapped coils with #1 cylinder and now no spark on #1. Bad CDI i presume.
3) Swapped CDI's and problem followed CDI. Am waiting for delivery of CDI from ebay purcahse (gotta love that Ebay).
I am happier than a pig in s*%# right now cause i am pretty sure once i get that new CDI in and all four cylinders firing this will be a
good strong running motor. Especsily with the compression at 130psi on all 4 cylinders. By looking at the overall condition of the motor, it's as it may have low hours on it.
Just wondering though what would have caused both the stator and a CDI to go bad. Unless CDI was bad for a while and stator just happen to go south.
Ayway enough babbling. Just thought I'd give an update to my troubleshooting. Will let you all know how it runs once new CDI is insatlled and finally get this boat in some water. Bully

Back