Logo

Hard starting 85

ronward

I have a Johnson 85ESL73M that's very hard to start when it's cold. New coils, plugs, wires. Carbs are immaculate. It has 135 compression on all four. Strong, consistent 7/16 spark, and good fuel delivery... it should run like it's hair's on fire. And it does AFTER a lot of cranking.

I've done all the usual... all new fuel lines, new bulb, new gas, soaked carbs overnight then sprayed passages and used a thin wire to pick at them, core plugs included.

I've read that once the green goo starts oozing from the stator then the spark is not as strong. That doesn't seem like my issue. Does it sound like it could be? After the initial cold start it runs great and starts quick the rest of the day. Will take any ideas, I'm at a loss. I haven't replaced the pack. Everything else is new so does this sound like a stator or power pack issue?

If the stator was failing, the problem should intensify as the engine heats up... not improve.

Check to make sure that your electric choke butterflies are slamming shut on both carburetors when engaged.

Proper start procedure: Pump fuel primer bulb up until it is hard... Apply a slight bit of throttle to take the engine off its cold idle position... Turn the key to the START position and ENGAGE and hold the CHOKE at the same time.

The engine should start within six (6) revolutions. When it starts, release the key and choke at the same time to the ON/RUN position.

Let us know what you find.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Sorry, I meant to include that cranking speed is not a problem. It has excellent cranking rpm. I have not tried cranking without choking it first. My normal cold start procedure is raise throttle lever, hit choke, turn key.

Choke butterflies are closing completely. Forgot to mention that my starting procedure begins with pumping up primer bulb.

Sorry, I meant to include that cranking speed is not a problem. It has excellent cranking rpm. I have not tried cranking without choking it first. My normal cold start procedure is raise throttle lever, hit choke, turn key.

And therein lies your problem.... Hit the choke, then turn the key does absolutely nothing for the fuel supply. You're attempting to start a cold engine without enriching the fuel mixture.

Hold the choke closed until the engine fires and starts.

To repeat myself "Turn the key to the START position and ENGAGE and hold the CHOKE at the same time."

Well JoeReeves, u did it again. You got me thinking about the choke butterflies so I had to run outside and check it. Sure enough, they looked like they were closing (from the driver's seat). Looking closer, I realized I had slid the choke solenoid down too low in it's bracket after syncing up the two chokes. When the choke was activated the small bend at the bottom of the linkage arm was hitting the bottom of the solenoid and not allowing full travel. Holding the butterflies closed, I moved the solenoid up just enough to clear. I couldn't get to the water hose fast enough!!! Got it hooked up, choked it and hit the key...it hasn't run for a week and it fired up on about the 5th revolution. Can't thank you enough Joe. I know it was a simple fix but you zeroed right in on it. You must have a gigantic head to house that brain of yours...lol

And therein lies your problem.... Hit the choke, then turn the key does absolutely nothing for the fuel supply. You're attempting to start a cold engine without enriching the fuel mixture.

Hold the choke closed until the engine fires and starts.

To repeat myself "Turn the key to the START position and ENGAGE and hold the CHOKE at the same time."

I do hold the choke while cranking. But as I said above it's fixed. Thanks Joe

I do hold the choke while cranking. But as I said above it's fixed. Thanks Joe

Yeah, okay, understood... but you said "hit" which translates to "bump", not "hold". :)

So now it runs... Time to fish, ski, or just impress the ladies, whatever comes first.

Well Joe, it depends on which part of the country you're from when you're talking about "crank" and "start". :confused:

ok guys, ya got me. When I say I "hit the choke" that means (to me) I HELD the choke while cranking. I know how to start these old outboards. My fault for not saying I actually HELD the choke. At any rate, thanks again Joe

Back