Logo

86 125 force how long running before should pickup water

Roxon68

hey everyone im new so a big shout out to everyone, bought an old 71 hull project boat yesterday but it has a 86 (i THINK) says chrysler on the controlls but the guy was like oh yeah she runs goods and he did fire er up and it does run good BUT he didnt have muffs and i FORGOT mine and i asked like 5 times was she pickin up water fine last year, he says oh yeah man shes good to go, so get er home and slap on muffs and well dangit she dont wanna pickup water, it dont have an outflow tube like my mercury but ive seen those force motors run and dont it come out the 2 holes in the back, the water? so im like well dang needs impeller i bet so i drop off the lower unit this morning and ill be danged if the impeller is good looks replaced within last couple years so now im just stupid dumbfounded, i THINK maybe since alot of water was leakin out and im on a well with not alot of pressure to begin with maybe the water couldnt get up to where the impeller is? like how long after its started should you see water comin out and where does it come out, those 2 holes? any and all help greatly apreaciated

Most of the water comes out the snout on the bottom of the cavitation plate.
The 2 holes should have some water coming out if it's running any length of time.
To make sure, get a deep bucket and put the drive in it.
It(the water) has to be 2-4 inches over the cavitation plate.

Most of the water comes out the snout on the bottom of the cavitation plate.
The 2 holes should have some water coming out if it's running any length of time.
To make sure, get a deep bucket and put the drive in it.
It(the water) has to be 2-4 inches over the cavitation plate.

ok i totally didnt know the water came out there this is my first force motor. im used to mercs, johnsons etc that have a tube that u can see the water comin out. i saw another post about that being called a "telltale" tube and my head does have a plug in the top where it would be easy to add that and i am going to do that. ive already got new impeller kit on order just need to get it in and yeah gunna start it in a big barrel not muffs. so most of the water comes out UNDER the water then how are you supposed to even know ya motor is pumping water on these? cus by the time it came out the holes if it wasnt workin ya coulda done cracked something, it didnt take me long runnnin one of my mercs to crack the head are these forces harder to crack or more tougher or whatever

Sorry, I should have added it should take less than 30 seconds to be spouting out the back holes.
Yes you can add a pee tube to that top screw.
The holes on the back are for the pressure relief system.
Sometimes the system gets blocked closed and doesn't always pump right.
There is a small cover under the exhaust chest. It's held in place by 2 tiny screws.
This covers the pressure relief system. Usually the screws twist off if you touch them.

Back