Logo

cd-17 fuel pump

troyhuck

Hi guys,
I have a 1960 Johnson Seahorse 5.5 hp model cd-17. I'm looking to replace the fuel pump (omc 304089), but I'm having trouble finding the part. I've heard that they no longer make it, so I was wondering which of the replacements is the correct one. I've seen references to 18-7350 versions for Sierra or Teflex and some even suggested OMC 388685, but it's nearly twice the cost. Are any of these the right parts? I also heard I may need longer screws as well as hoses for all of these models? Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Rather be fishing

So does this mean the 388685 pump is a better option than the cheaper non omc parts? Ironically that eBay listing is at my local store.

Ok I think I'm a touch confused. I have no problem buying the new pump. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one. The part number on mine is omc 304089. I''ve been told omc 388685 works as you've posted a link to, but I was wondering if the Sierra 18-7350 would work as well because it's about $20 cheaper than the omc parts or if I'm getting what I paid for? Lol

So you say your local store has it? Then go take a look at it. 18-7350 will work.....IF.... the hose nipples don't point in the wrong direction. Even if they do, you can reroute them with some new hose....IF... there is no obstruction in the way. The large inlet hose is no problem because it will go on in any of four directions. Not much you can do with the small hose except re-route it if necessary.

Alright. So I replaced the fuel pump and the problem is still occurring. Another symptom I've discovered is there seems to be a lot of pressure built up in the lines that go into the bulb that houses the fuel filter. When I had the hood off, I was moving the lines to look in the bulb and gas was squirting out when moved the in line. Does this mean clogged fuel filter from my old tank (which I have replaced with a new plastic this year)? If so, what is the fuel filter # or where can I get it? Also, would it be a good idea to put an in line filter in?

Back