Logo

1998 Evinrude 115 Ignition Switch Problem

addeible

When I turn the key to the on position it does its usual beep. Then when I go to start it...nothing. When it returns to the on position it beeps again. If I fiddle with the key a little I can get it to turn over for a brief second. This leads me to believe it is probably the key switch that needs replacing. Do these commonly go bad? I also will check the wiring around the throttle to make sure there is no visible wire damage.

My other question is can I pull the plug out for the key switch and use a wire to arc the different ports and try to start it that way to confirm that the switch is bad?

Thanks for the help?

The throttle control incorporates a neutral safety switch needed to prevent starting the engine in gear. Usually the problem you mention is a misadjusted safety switch. If you can hold the key in the START position, then jiggle the throttle lever around somewhat which results in having the electric starter engage... that safety switch needs to be adjusted closer to the cam that actuates it.

On the back of the ignition switch... to bypass the inner workings of the igniton switch, simply run a jumper wire from the "B" (battery) terminal to the "S" (solenoid) terminal.

NO... Don't be doing any "Mickey Mouse" work on the ignition switch!

Back