Logo

Vp 2030a oil pressure and temp guage monitors/sensors swap

PETER STEVENS

I have a VOLVO PENTA 2030A engine (well, 2 actually) in my 39 Prout cat. Prout, in their wisdom, fitted the very basic control panel, devoid of oil pressure and water temp gauges. It just has alarms, which have failed in the past. As I have one engine apart at the moment I thought I might as well retro-fit the kit. From the engine parts catalogue I note that there are monitors available for both which, presumably, should just fit in to where the current sensors are. Anybody else tried this? Any advice before I spend a ridiculous amount of money with Volvo.

Cheers

Pete
FLYING DRAGON
PHILIPPINES

Assuming that the sensors just screw into the block/manifold etc like normal, you can buy all manner or aftermarket gauges and senders as a matched pair to fit. VDO is one brand that come to mind if you search for them. Probably about $50 each for a matched sender/gauge vs mortgaging your first child etc for another trip to the Volvo store. The other thing you could consider is to use a 'T' fitting in the block/manifold so that you can keep your oil warning alarm whilst adding the oil pressure gauge. This may not be possible with the water temp however as the sender unit probably needs to properly immersed in the coolant to be accurate. On many engines however there are extra 'holes' where you can add the extra sender, and it is not unusual for Volvo's to have both the alarm and gauge so the holes may just be plugged with a cap on your engines. If you look up a parts diagram you can probably identify where the correct sender location is from that.

Back