Logo

Turbo problem every spring launch

Ed Warren

I have a pair of 6V53TIB Detroits in a 36 Jersey. After winter is over and boat is launched in the spring my both turbos are always seized up. I have no clue what the cause is and would like to know if I can. To get the turbos working I pull off the air seps and use a multi point socket to put on the turbo hub and with the extension and 3/8 rachet drive slowly work the turbos free. I can't see the exaust side where it binds, but I assume it is a build up of carbon and maybe some rust too. I will be trying to get them free this week end and I may try spraying k1 kerosene through the turbo fins to loosen up the carbon or rust. Has others had to deal with this problem and if so, how do they handle it. ----------- Ed

Common with many marine turbos.Really need to pull them off and properly clean the exhaust housings. The exhaust system setups on some boats can make the problem worse than on others.

Make sure you plug up your exhaust before the winter layup. I take of my Airseps in the fall and spray a small amount of marvel mystery oil on the blades and spin it by hand. Then I wrap the whole turbo in a garbage bag to seal it till the spring.

Make sure you plug up your exhaust before the winter layup. I take of my Airseps in the fall and spray a small amount of marvel mystery oil on the blades and spin it by hand. Then I wrap the whole turbo in a garbage bag to seal it till the spring.

Thank you, I will try your Marvel Mystery oil suggestion. I do seal up the exhausts by clamping hard rubber exhaust flaps on the exhaust extensions and tape them closed.

Back