Logo

Old Johnson Ship-Master Name Plate

DonnyDrywall

Hi everyone, this is my first post and i really hope it can be answered. I am custom restoring a 1958 Duratech 14 foot runabout. The motor is currently a 1972 25hp Evinrude and i assume the Johnson Controls are original 1958. anyway my question is about the name plate on the controls. I would like a new one as I am powder coating the rest of the controls and i would like the badge to look as nice as the rest of it.

IMG_20140528_171159101_HDR.jpg

This is the badge. while I am sure I could clean it up and paint it I would like one in the same style but says Evinrude. Any Ideas as to where I could acquire such a nameplate??

Yeah I would be interested in a trade. I even have a box of the push pins that hold it to the controls. I have since painted the plate and I'll post a picture of it. Anyway you could upload a picture of yours?

I'm new to this forum. Let me see if I can figure out if it'll let me do this from my phone. The paint is faded from it, so I'm not sure how interested you'll be, but take a look and see what you think.

evinrude tag 1.jpg evinrude tag 2.jpg control box medium.jpg

Here they are. What do you think? Still interested? A guy on my boat forum had the same control box as me, and he swapped Johnson/Evinrude badges with someone else, and fixed his control box up really nice. I'm gonna try to do the same thing he did. His looked just as bad as mine before he started. Here are his finished pictures. I'm working on my levers now, and almost got them finished. I'll be doing the box next.

johnson control box 1.jpg johnson control box 2.jpg

Let me know if you think mine will work for you or not,

September

Our rigs are similar. My boat is a 15 ft 1957 Crestliner Voyager (with a 1956 body), and a 1971 Johnson 40 hp. I'm fixing mine up this winter, too. I'd like to say I'm restoring it, but this old boat was heavily modified, and cut, so I have to make do with the shell I have. I'm still going to try and turn it into a nice cruising and fishing boat. Instead of going original, I'm going to just have that 50's retro feel to it. I'm hoping to get some pin-tucked bench seats, with a couple of matching swivel seats and chrome trim, similar to seats in the corner cafe. I want to put in some storage compartments, LED lights, and a radio.

September

One more thing. If your control box is the same, do you also have one brown knob and one black knob? Mine were so oxidized that I didn't notice it until I got them cleaned up this weekend. Then I saw that the ones in the other guy's picture were the same, one brown and one black.

September

Back