Logo

1987 OMC Shutting off

Bilyjones

I have a 1987 190 Horizon with a OMC inboard outboard, The other day I was on the lake and everything was working fine and I was a full speed and then the engine just shut off. I acted like I was out of gas and then I could not get it started. At first i thought it was the battery because it would not turn over. I pulled it out of the water and tried to start it and when the key turned the entire foot jumped, it would not turn over. At the end of last year I winterized it and also changed the foot gear oil. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

when the key turned the entire foot jumped, it would not turn over.
drain the lower unit and see what comes out - look for silver flakes of gears and bearings in the oil.
Sounds like the drive may be toast.
Did you use this procedure when you changed the drive lube?:
http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/tech_articles/omc-cobra-outdrive-lubricant-filling.html

After you remove the drive, you may want to run the engine for a few seconds in case it drank water through the exhaust as some do when shut down on plane.

drain the lower unit and see what comes out - look for silver flakes of gears and bearings in the oil.
Sounds like the drive may be toast.
Did you use this procedure when you changed the drive lube?:
http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/tech_articles/omc-cobra-outdrive-lubricant-filling.html

After you remove the drive, you may want to run the engine for a few seconds in case it drank water through the exhaust as some do when shut down on plane.

If it is the gears and bearings that went is that something that can be replaced or a new lower will have to be replaced?
Thanks again for the help...

more likely your upper gears that went and you'll need a new outdrive or complete rebuild by a qualified shop if that's the issue

more likely your upper gears that went and you'll need a new outdrive or complete rebuild by a qualified shop if that's the issue

If the outdrive went is there likely damage to the main engine of the boat or just the outdrive and foot?? Sorry for all of the question.

Pull the drain plug and/or remove the top cover from the drive's upper gearcase to get a visual of the upper gears, and we'll have a better idea what's even wrong.
Are you boating in salt water, or fresh water?

Pull the drive, and try to turn the engine over. My guess would be gears/bearings seized up.
If so, I would use caution if you are thinking about having the Cobra drive over-hauled.

If you're OK with Dog Clutch gear engagement, there is a kit available for installing the SEI Merc-A-drive-wanna-be drive.
They are not expensive, and some are having good luck with the SEI.

Or.... if you're tired of Dog Clutch gear engagement, there is also a kit available for installing a Volvo Penta SX Cone Clutch drive...... or the DP-S drive.

Back