Logo

Bizarre stalls in mercruiser 5.0

mikef

Looking for a little advice for a mechanically unsound boat owner.....

I've got a 2006 Four Winns Horizon 200 with a Mercruiser 5.0. It has run great since I purchased it three years ago with the exception of some strange stalling thus far this season.

We've taken the boat out on five days this season and on each of them (with the exception of day one), it has stalled at medium to high speed a single time approx. 5 minutes into the first run. It just cuts out (no sputtering) and dies. It then immediately restarts and runs great for the remainder of the day. While the problem seems relatively minor, the consistency of the stalls concerns me.

The only other item of note is that it is taking two attempts to start the boat this season on about 50% of the starts. In seasons past, it would only take two cranks on the first start of the day.

The only maintenance done this winter was winterizing, oil change, water/fuel separator filter change, and drive lube change. The local servicer would like to take a look at the boat, but I was hoping to get some expert opinions prior to spending a lot of cash.

Thanks!

It sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Check out your whole fuel system, from the pickup tube screen in the tank, to the carb filter.

Back