Logo

30 ft. Egg Harbor 1973- Help! Damsel in Project Distress!

susan east end

Hello everyone!

​I am posting to this forum to see if anyone might have some salient advice regarding a project boat that I acquired by circumstance. I must remove it from my property a.s.a.p. and I have no idea what to do.

Ideally I would like to give it away to someone who has the vision, resources and time in which to restore it to a fabulous craft. However, as time is of the essence, I am also going to have to consider the option of scrapping it somehow- which is another conundrum in and of itself.

How do I find someone who might want this boat, or alternatively, where/how does one scrap a boat?

ANY advice would be so appreciated!!! Thanks!

The specs are as follows:

Manufacturer: Egg Harbor
Title: Standard/transferable
Type: Flybridge
Model: 30 SPORTFISH
Year: 1973
Sleeps: 4
Length/LOA: 30' 0"
Beam: 11' 6"
Condition: Project
Engine Type/Model: 228 Chrysler twin inboard
Number of Engines: 2
United States
Engine Drive: Direct Drive
Beam: 11' 6"
Fuel Type: Gasoline/Petrol
Fuel Capacity: 200 gal
​Tanks: Pumped Dry
Hull Material: Fiberglass/Composite
Number of Hulls: 1

*****Hull is in good shape and the engines, shafts and propellers are all intact.

*****Engines DID run 3 years ago. Boat has been on blocks and pickled since.

*****Cabin house is wood- inside is intact but outside does have substantial rot.

*****The boat is on blocks, so you WILL need a trailer with a hydraulic lift that will accommodate a 30 foot boat.

Most likely you'll have to call a boatyard and have them come get it. You can sign it over to them for their trouble.

Scrapping can be done in most landfills. I'd call your local authority and see if they have any restrictions, but probably not. You'll pay by the ton. I paid $50 per ton to dump a 28 footer a couple years ago. Your boat is probably 5 to 8 tons so you do the math there. Anyone who has a big enough trailer and a winch to haul it onto the trailer can move it. At the landfill, they will chain it to the Cat dozer and pull it off the trailer. Then they will gleefully drive the dozer over it and smash it to bits.

That boat probably has some considerable lavage value. The bright work alone is likely worth a good bit. The problem is that if anyone wants to restore it those Chrysler engines will need to be replaced.

Back