Logo

OMC 800 problem or not?

XtinctEngr

FIrst post, but have been lurking for a long time. I have a '81 Celebrity that I have left untouched for a very long time. It is a long story, not worth the trouble to tell. Let me just say I finally have the time to put this baby back together. This boat ran beautifully 13 years ago and was winterized, and kept under a cover and carport since then. When I started the restore, I completely gutted the interior, repaired a small amount of rot in the floors - mainly over the fuel tank. I have ordered/received new seats and new carpet and the interior pieces are out for new upholstery.

So now I know that I will need to refurbish the motor and out drive. The motor is a 305 Chevy (OMC 200- Model #990260K) hooked to a OMC 800 stern drive (Model # 982461).

The engine shouldn't present to many problems as I have rebuilt several motors in my time and when I realized that this project would have top be on hold for a long time, I occasionally turned the engine by hand with the spark plugs removed and with a little Marvel Oil down each cylinder. I will rebuild the carb first as it is already on my work bench - 2 barrel - piece of cake.

My problem will come with the stern drive. I know the water pump is probably dust by now and most opf the seals/gaskets have dried out. I did drain the lube and their no sign of water, but that really doesn't tell me anything except that the last time I was in the lake nothing was leaking.

The previous owner had painted the out drive or should I say attempted to paint the pout drive and did a horrible job. Large peeling spots everywhere. So I started cleaning some of the more loose chips off when I discovered this:

CIMG0619_zpsd20b28a2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The lower unit is not original - probably off an outboard based solely on the color. I also noted this:

CIMG0620_zps74983235.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It only lines up with the upper casing along the starboard side.

Like I said earlier, this unit operated perfectly prior to the dry spell.

Originally, this out drive was a Hydro shift unit, but now I am not so sure. Since my manual has not arrived, I will not tear into this guy yet.

Is there another way to tell which type of mechanical shift?

Back